Jordan

Barcelona, Scotland, Edinburgh

Where to visit between Scotland and Barcelona for 4 days?

I'm planning a trip to Europe and will be staying near Edinburgh, Scotland for a little bit and have about 4 days to spend exploring somewhere else in Europe before heading to Barcelona. Anyone have any suggestions for where to visit that would be easy to get to from either of those locations? (excluding Paris, French riviera, and London, as those are other locations on the trip). Thanks!

Anthony from New York City

1. Lyon (city)

I'd look at your cheap airlines to see what common cities you could get to from Edinburgh and Barcelona.

We used Ryan Air a lot and though people gripe about them, our flights were cheap (if booked ahead) and ontime. Look at Ryan Air and German Wings for some great cheap tickets within Europe.

With a quick look, I saw that you could easily see Palma de Mallorca, Rome, or Gran Canaria via RyanAir.

If you have interest in renting a car, you could land in Barcelona early, then drive north about 90 minutes to Girona. The region is mountainous, beautiful, and ull of tons to do, wineries, good food, old castles, etc...

You could also take those 4 days and travel south along the coast. Tarragona is only an hour south. Peniscola is just over two hours south and has an old castle of the templars, turquoise blue waters, and white squeaky sand. Another hour-ish and you're in my favorite Spanish city, Valencia.

It's easy to take the Renfe train within Spain from Barcelona to visit these places as well. That opens up even more options. Take the train to San Sebastian up north in the Basque region, it's another amazing place.

1. Palma de Mallorca (attraction)
  3. Gran Canaria (city)
  4. Girona (city)
  5. Tarragona (city)
  6. Peniscola (city)
  7. Valencia (city)
  8. San Sebastian (city)

Jennifer from Austin (Texas)

If traveling by Plane (I presume), I would highly recommend Prague Czech Republic.  Prices are cheaper than other cities in Western Europe and the city itself can be toured on foot.  I lived there for 4+ years myself and can offer greater insights into what to see and do, if you'd like to hear more :) 

1. Prague (city)

Louise from Vancouver

Amsterdam could be a great option - it's a wonderful city with lots to do and see, plus Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is a central transport hub so flights between each place would be easy and fairly reasonably priced to come by.

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (attraction)

Klaudia from London

Now that is some serious open question. it would depend on the time of the year and also what things you like to do. 

If you are after an urban pick, I probably would pick Berlin. It has a loads of fly in and out options for you. The city has a bit of everything and seems like a different feel to the rest of your planned stops, plus it's on the way for you.  

Berlin isa really electric and energetic city. with a great mix of everything really History, food, art and plenty of dancing. So no matter what your passion point is (unless you were after lying by the Beach) it has it.

It's also easy on the pocket compared to most western capitals.

1. Berlin (city)

Leonardo

Hi!

I recommend San Sebastian and Biarritz

1. San Sebastian (city)
  2. Biarritz (city)

Jahn from Barcelona

Well, try something different Porto, amazing wine tasting experiences all over the place and direct flights back to Barcelona,

Once you are in my hometown, don't miss "Patatas Bravas" at Bar Tomás if you want to go for sth local.

A lot more about tapas in Barcelona can be found in a freebie guide on my guidebooks homepage:

#BCN - by locals

1. Porto (city)
  2. Barcelona (city)
  3. Bar Tomás (attraction)

Ruth from Utah

Visit the highlands of Scotland including Perth (Scotland) and Kinloch Rannoch. Amazing views as you take the windy roads through forests and glens. Stop and take lunch at Rannoch Moor to taste the local cuisine.

1. Perth (Scotland) (city)
  2. Kinloch Rannoch (city)
  3. Rannoch Moor (attraction)

Isabel from Sabadell

Hello! You should seeAndorra la Vella one day and three days doing excurcions sites like: Tristaina, pond and circus lessons....
Or if you prefer you can go to the coast of Gerona beaches and villages are very beautiful as Roses, Cadaques, Palamós ...

1. Andorra la Vella (city)
  2. Tristaina (attraction)
  3. Gerona (city)
  4. Roses (city)
  5. Cadaques (city)
  6. Palamós (city)

Roger from West Des Moines

Krakow, Munich, or the French Catalonian region around (and including) Carcassonne.  

1. Krakow (city)
  2. Munich (city)
  3. Carcassonne (city)

John

I agree with Amsterdam! Good connections and especially , if you haven't been there fun and interesting.I also like Brussels which is very underrated in my opinion and would fit into your trip.

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Brussels (city)