Greer
Tonbridge, Kent

Barcelona

What can I do with my Dad in Barcelona?

I'm taking my 73 year old Dad to Barcelona as a surprise at the end of August. He's got pretty bad arthritis, so can't walk all that far. Plus, he doesn't really have much interest in the arts or architecture. He does love his sport though! I was thinking maybe a trip to Camp Nou, plus maybe some cava tasting, but any advice would be appreciated.

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Greer,

Barcelona has a great metro which makes it a bit easier to get around. I think Camp Nou is a great idea (off-season or not, it's still awesome) and you might consider Barceloneta and Villa Olimpica , the area used for the 1992 Summer Olympic Games.

Other fun things to see are Montjuïc and the Font Màgica de Montjuïc . Be sure to check the hours before going as they vary.

If your Dad likes food, I suggest trying the churros & chocolate, as well as a classic risotto dish.

Have a blast!

1. Camp Nou (attraction)
  2. Barceloneta (attraction)
  3. Villa Olimpica (attraction)
  4. Montjuïc (attraction)
  5. Font Màgica de Montjuïc (attraction)

Greer, 

Definitely take him to an FCBarcelona game if they are playing. Tickets are expensive but you can belly up at a restaurant or bar with some locals and watch the game. There are cava tours available, just a train ride away. My biggest tip would be to have dinner at Ciudad Condal. Sit at the bar, eat fabulous food with locals and some smart tourists and enjoy a bottle of cava. If he can stretch his legs and walk a bit, do the tourist thing and take a stroll down to La Boqueria for a late breakfast at El Quim de la Boqueria. The city is rich with great food and great people so whatever you do it will be memorable.

1. Ciudad Condal (restaurant)
  2. La Boqueria (attraction)
  3. El Quim de la Boqueria (restaurant)

Terry from Honaunau, Hawaii

Barcelona is definitely a walking city.  But there are other options to getting around Barcelona.  You might consider taking the hop on, hop off bus.  You don't have to get off and you can still see the many sites that Barcelona has to offer.   There are three routes to take including one that takes you by the stadium.  But yes the beauty of Barcelona is the amazing architecture especially of Antonio Gaudi.  People watching is fun on La Rambla.  Just sit down and order a beverage and watch the people go by.  Check and see if there is a soccer game happening while you are there?  It's my most favorite city in the world.  I don't think I have ever met anyone that has been there and did not like it. 

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. La Rambla (attraction)