Bista
Mitaka, Tokyo

Barcelona, Spain

Ways to Enjoy Barcelona Better

To see La Sagrada Familia to enjoy Barcelona is all I know.

So, please teach me how to enjoy a holiday in Barcelona besides to see La Sagrada Familia.

I wanna trip to Barcelona about 3~5days in this summer.

I like football, beer, landscape,architecture, and so on. In addition, I don't mind whether costs of money are expensive, or cheap.

Thank you!!:)

Laura from Buenos Aires

If you can ride a bike thats a great way to enjoy the city. Once I rented a bike in the Monument a Cristòfol Colom and went by the seaside through La Barceloneta, the Villa Olimpica, and the beach all the way to the Parc del Fòrum. I had a wonderful afternoon.

I also enjoyed very much my visit to El Raval, near La Rambla, is similar to the Barri Gòtic but less touristic and is habitated by african or southamerican inmigrants mostly. There you can visit the Museo de Arte Contemporaneo de Barcelona 

1. Monument a Cristòfol Colom (attraction)
  2. La Barceloneta (attraction)
  3. Villa Olimpica (attraction)
  4. Parc del Fòrum (attraction)
  5. El Raval (neighborhood)
  6. La Rambla (attraction)
  7. Barri Gòtic (attraction)
  8. Museo de Arte Contemporaneo de Barcelona (attraction)

Valerie from Seattle

Barcelona is a great city to spend 3-5 days in--good choice!

Here are the touristy answers for you:

Be sure to check out Parc Güell, another Gaudi project that offers great views of the whole of Barcelona.

Take a long walk up La Rambla to see the shops and restaurants there. Also, wander off the main road, to get among the cobbled streets and find the small bars and restaurants where the locals are.

I highly recommend having a drink (it has to be sangria!) at El Bosc de les Fades, which is both bar and experience. Try and get a seat in the back room with the trees!

Also, try sailing in Port de Barcelona! That's a really cool experience of the city, and can teach your about something you may not know.

Hope this helps!

1. Parc Güell (attraction)
  2. La Rambla (attraction)
  3. El Bosc de les Fades (attraction)
  4. Port de Barcelona (attraction)

Lindsay from Moreno Valley

You have to go to Parc Güell. It's a park designed by Barcelona's most-loved architect, Guadi and it's full of surprising architecture and statues.

One of my very favorite things in Barcelona is La Boqueria. It's a fantastic open-air market where you'll find lots of wonderful fresh produce, delicious sandwiches and juices, and some small restaurants as well. You should definitely walk through it.

Another thing that I highly recommend is trying to do one of the Sandemans New Barcelona free walking tours of the Gothic Quarter. You'll learn so much about the city and it's FREE! I recommend doing this at the beginning of your trip to see if there's something that you might want to go back and check out more fully.

Have a great trip! :D Barcelona's wonderful. One of my favorite places in the world.

1. Parc Güell (attraction)
  2. La Boqueria (attraction)
  3. Sandemans New Barcelona (attraction)

Jeff from Portland

My personal thoughts...

Barcelona is a little bit like LA in the fact that there is cool stuff to do for everyone, but finding what suits you can be difficult. 

I think spending time on the beaches and at the beach bars is a fantastic way to spend (part) of the days. You cant miss them.

Some of the best restaurants in the world are in Barcelona. Some of my favorites are Tickets and Espaisucre and Quimet & Quimet

I would say go for a tapas crawl, but a lot of the places offer the exact same thing, so it is more of an atmosphere crawl at that point. 

For attractions Park Guell and Sagrada Família i think are the two big ones. 

I would recommend watching shows like Rick Steves, Anthony Bourdain and Three Sheets to get a sense of the type of places you may want to go (most of the shows you can find on YouTube or Hulu). 

1. Tickets (restaurant)
  2. Espaisucre (restaurant)
  3. Quimet & Quimet (attraction)
  4. Park Guell (attraction)
  5. Sagrada Família (attraction)

Georgia from Long Island (New York)

all good answers here.  Barcelona is the best city I've ever visited.  has everything to do 24/7.  my only recommendation is not to leave without visit to Basílica de la Sagrada Família - unlike any other church- and climb to the top for the view.  also the market on las ramblas is interesting.  the best- if you can catch a soccer match- especially against real Madrid- it is the best fun you can have with 100,000 people 

1. Basílica de la Sagrada Família (attraction)

Juan from Los Angeles

I would highly suggest to catch a show in the Palau de la Música Catalana, it's a gem of Catalan modernism! Also explore the neighborhood Gracia great place to get away from the crowds and experience the real life in the city. If you're in the city in the month of August, they have a festival totally worth exploring in that neighborhood. Another very interesting spot in the city is Bar Marsella it's one of the oldest bars in the city, famous for serving absinthe. Apparently Hemingway used to frequent the place... Grab an afternoon snack at Granja M. Viader amazing hot chocolate and pastries

1. Palau de la Música Catalana (attraction)
  2. Gracia (neighborhood)
  3. Bar Marsella (attraction)
  4. Granja M. Viader (restaurant)

Alex from Barcelona

Football: Camp Nou is a must. See a game if you can else there is FCB museum there.

Beer: Any one of the xiringuitos (beach bars). Frankly local beer is not very good.

Landscape: Parc Güell and Montjuïc for the views of the city. Gran Hotel La Florida offers the best views from Parc de Collserola and there is an amusement park there and you could also go up Torre de Collserola TV tower for a stunning 360 degree view of Barcelona as far as Montserrat (which you should also visit).

Architecture: All the usual suspects.

Drinks: Collage Art & Cocktails Social ClubBoadas, Robadors 23 or Smoll BarAbsenta if you are feeling adventurous :)

1. Camp Nou (attraction)
  2. Parc Güell (attraction)
  3. Montjuïc (attraction)
  4. Gran Hotel La Florida (hotel)
  5. Parc de Collserola (attraction)
  6. Torre de Collserola (attraction)
  7. Montserrat (attraction)
  8. Collage Art & Cocktails Social Club (attraction)
  9. Boadas (attraction)
  10. Robadors 23 (attraction)
  11. Smoll Bar (attraction)
  12. Absenta (attraction)

Bonnie

You can buy timed tickets to Basílica de la Sagrada Família online which I recommend to avoid the lines.  I took a free walking tour and it was excellent--I think it was Runner Bean Tours (Free Walking Tours meeting point).  Also, the Columbus Monument at the Port is impressive.  Loved Barcelona!

2. Runner Bean Tours (Free Walking Tours meeting point) (attraction)
  3. Columbus Monument (attraction)

Dennis from Copenhagen

I've just been down there and had a great time not running around to visit all the "must see" touristic places. Instead I walked around and came around great places seeing more of the local people living there - likewise eating at the local restaurants.

I really liked the areas El Raval and Poble Secwhich has a Middle Eastern atmosphere. In that area the Montjuïc mountain is as well, where you have a brilliant view over the city. Also if you're into electronic music, every sundays during the summer months, the event Piknic Electronik (http://piknicelectronik.es/en/) takes place which is really cool and cozy!

Have a good trip!

1. El Raval (neighborhood)
  2. Poble Sec (neighborhood)
  3. Montjuïc (attraction)
  4. Piknic Electronik (attraction)

Dave from Barcelona

After you've spent time in the heart and heat of city, get a different view from the deck of an old wooden sailboat at Classic Sailing Barcelona

1. Classic Sailing Barcelona (attraction)

Gangessearay from Sydney, Australia

Great BCN restaurant try Taverna El Glop

Something different try Govinda run by hare krishna :). 

You will have a great time :)

1. Taverna El Glop (restaurant)
  2. Govinda (restaurant)