Robert asked

Top sites in Barcelona and Mallorca?

we will be in Barcelona & Mallorca early October for about 7 days. What are some of the essential things to do and see?

Barcelona   Palma de Mallorca

Elena from Amsterdam, Netherlands

I can help you about Barcelona:

- Passeig de Gràcia, Barcelona: the main Gaudi's buildings are in this main street.

- La Sagrada Familia: You can't leave without have seen this amazing basilica.

- Catalunya: the leading square of Barcelona

- La Rambla: Next to the square, the most charming streets with a market and shops surrounding.

- Tibidabo: it is the mountain of Barcelona, if you get there you'll see the beautiful views of the city, the palace on the top and the old amusement park with the treadmill, one of my favorites parts of the city. You can get there by train, it works like the underground with the same cost.

- Rambla de Catalunya: don't confuse with Las rambla, this is a big street parallel to the Paseo de gracia, this street contains a plenty of terraces where to have lunch or to drink something while you're watching the street and the passers.

1. Passeig de Gràcia, Barcelona (attraction)
  2. La Sagrada Familia (attraction)
  3. Catalunya (attraction)
  4. La Rambla (attraction)
  5. Tibidabo (attraction)
  6. Rambla de Catalunya (attraction)
Julie from York

Hi Robert

Barcelona is an incredible city - you can't miss the Gaudi architecture, which many of the previous respondents have mentioned.

There's also loads to see and do in the surrounds as well. For a day trip, how about the monastery in the mountains at Montserrat. You can walk and explore there; and there are usually some exhibitions taking place if you like to mix up a bit of culture and outdoorsy stuff. I wrote about this and other day trips here: http://www.thegapyearedit.com/travel/day-trips-from-barcelona/

Have a brilliant trip!

Julie

1. Montserrat (attraction)
Lianne

My brother and I recently spent a few days in Barcelona and it was a great time.  We used the hop on hop off bus and well worth the money I think its about $25 Euro p/p.  Gaudi house and Parc Güell worth seeing and you can access these by the bus tour.  

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. Parc Güell (attraction)
Krista from San Francisco

Hi Robert,

I can't speak for Mallorca, but have a few faves in Barcelona!

The metro is clean and really easy to navigate, so I suggest using it or walking. There isn't much need to taxi around. :)

JL
My favorite city in all the world. The list is great. One additional suggestion. Make advance reservations at La Sagrada Familia. The walk up line can be 3 to 4 hours long. With advanced paid reservations you walk right in at your assigned time and can stay as long as you like. Go early see everything end your afternoon up the street at an outdoor cafe for late lunch and a view of the exterior of the Basilica and also some great people watching. Also add a stroll up La Rambla. Trains are great if you like to venture out of the city. North to Dali's house for example

1. Sagrada Família (attraction)
  2. Arc de Triomf (attraction)
  3. Font Màgica de Montjuïc (attraction)
  4. La Pedrera (attraction)
  5. Casa Batlo (attraction)
  6. Parc Güell (attraction)
  7. Museu Picasso (attraction)
  8. Camp Nou (attraction)
  9. Barceloneta (attraction)
  10. Eixample (attraction)
  11. El Born (metro area)

Hello Robert! Well all essential in Barcelona are: La Pedrera, Casa Batlo, Sagrada Família and Parc Güell. I also liked a lot Maremagnum, Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, La Boqueriaand La Rambla. You cant miss to visit any of the genius Antonio Gaudis masterpieces!!

Saludos!!

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. La Pedrera (attraction)
  3. Casa Batlo (attraction)
  4. Sagrada Família (attraction)
  5. Parc Güell (attraction)
  6. Maremagnum (attraction)
  7. Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya (attraction)
  8. La Boqueria (attraction)
  9. La Rambla (attraction)