Allie
Portland

Allie from Portland asked

The most beautiful architecture in Barcelona that can't be missed?

Where are the best places to visit in Barcelona to see some beautiful architecture?  I've heard about the areas in and around Barri Gotic and La Sagrada Familia.  Hoping to get some more ideas that are more off the beaten path!

Barcelona

Hannah from Nebraska

I would recommend Parc Güell! You have to do a little walking/hiking up stairs, but the view is fabulous.  

It originated as a real estate venture gone wrong by Guadi and one of his buddies, Guell. They were designing a nice neighborhood for wealthier people to live in. At the time, it was just outside of Barcelona in the foothills of the Sierra de Collserola, which provided great views of the city and ocean. The problem was, none of the upper class wanted to move that far away from the city center. So, Guell made it a park and named it after himself.  

Today, entrance to the park is free. If you want to visit the Gaudi House Muesem (in which Gaudi lived, not designed), there's a small fee. It's a fun place for kids to run around and everyone to get some fresh air. The park is not too far from the city, but definitely not waking distance. I'd suggest a cab or the rail system.

Allie
I'll definitely visit Parc Guell! Thank you!

james
oh and for Parc Guell, if you don't want to walk take the Metro and then the Bus del Barri , i used to live just there. there's a great app called enllanc which helps with public transport solutions in the city

Oksana
Unfortunately it's not free. Ticket will cost you 7 euro(if buying online) http://www.parkguell.cat/en/buy-tickets/individual-purchase/

1. Parc Güell (attraction)
Jahn from Barcelona

Hi Allie

In my book #BCN - by locals I over the off the beaten track architecture jewels. To name four of them that I think to be worth visiting...

1. Pritzker award wining architect Toyo Ito's Hotel Porta Fira

2. The Disseny Hub Barcelona (DHUB) at Plaça de les Glòries Catalanes, a beautiful addition to this changing part of the city

3. A modern classic by Mies van der Rohe built for the World Exposition 1928 close to the Plaza España: Mies van der Rohe Pavilion

4. Parc Güell

Catalonia Plaza CatalunyaAndante Hotel

Enjoy Barcelona! Best, Jahn

Allie
These sound amazing! Thank you, Jahn!

Oksana from Barcelona

Barcelona is famous of Gaudi works. Sagrada Família is one of them.

So besides that you should  definitely visit:

Casa Batlló

La Pedrera

Güell Palace

Parc Güell

All of them were made by Gaudi.

Of course walking root through Barri Gotic will be awesome.

Allie
Thank you, Oksana!

1. Sagrada Família (attraction)
  2. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  3. La Pedrera (attraction)
  4. Güell Palace (attraction)
  5. Parc Güell (attraction)
Andrew from Kingston, Jamaica

Hi Allie. Barcelona is full of great architecture. If you don't have a place to stay you could actually stay in Barrio Gotico by looking on http://www.loquo.com/en/barcelona/ for a place to stay. A walk up Passeig de Gràcia, Barcelona you'll be able to see a few interesting places with great architecture. The architect of La Sagrada Familia - Gaude has a few great places to see around Barcelona. Make sure to stop by Parc Güell, it's simply amazing. I'd also recommend, though I never did it but everyone said it was worth the effort, to check out the Dalí Theatre-Museum which is a little outside of Barcelona. Hope you have fun.

Allie
Thank you, Andrew!

1. Passeig de Gràcia, Barcelona (attraction)
  2. Parc Güell (attraction)
  3. Dalí Theatre-Museum (attraction)
james from San Diego

if you can get out of town in a car, La Colònia Güell is great. Moderniste architecture and you don't have to share it!

Allie
Thank you, James!

Daniel from Boston

Hey Allie, those are some great places to see iconic architecture in Barcelona. A place that's a little off the beaten path that I really liked is the Plaça de la Virreina in the Gràcia neighborhood. There's a nice church and a plaza with a bunch of cafes. To the left of the cathedral, there is (or there was 4 years ago) a piadina shop called La Piadina which I loved. Piadinas are like Italian quesadillas. They're cheap and awesome.

I'd also recommend seeing the castellers if you can. The castellers are organized groups of people that create human towers (castles). So it's not exactly architecture...but it's pretty close. 

http://www.castellersdelaviladegracia.org/ - that's the group I saw. It's a very cool and very Catalan thing to see. That photo was taken in the Plaça de la Vila de Gràcia, which also in the Gràcia neighborhood. It's also pretty close to Parc Güell

I worked in Barcelona only for a year, so I don't claim to know the city but if you have other questions, let me know!

Allie
That is so cool!! I didn't even know that that was a thing. I appreciate the ideas! :)

1. Plaça de la Virreina (attraction)
  2. La Piadina (restaurant)
  3. Plaça de la Vila de Gràcia (attraction)
  4. Parc Güell (attraction)

Everyone is on the money but I would also just walk as many neighborhoods as you can to feel the complete flavor of the city. Hit up El Borne (lots of hipsters) and go to the top of Tibidabo and have a drink at Mirablau for the best view of the city.

1. El Borne (attraction)
  2. Tibidabo (attraction)
  3. Mirablau (attraction)
giulia from Sardinia

Parc Güell... Casa Batlló.... La Pedrera

1. Parc Güell (attraction)
  2. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  3. La Pedrera (attraction)
Donna from Winnipeg

Both the Barri Gòtic and Basílica de la Sagrada Família are worth your time. The other area that has great Modernisme architecture (although not off the beaten path) is Eixample. 

I've written a couple of blog posts you might find useful. 

http://destinationsdetoursdreams.blogspot.com/2013/09/walking-in-barcelona.html

http://destinationsdetoursdreams.blogspot.com/2013/10/barcelona-architecture-modernisme-and.html

Allie
Thank you, Donna!

Mire from Asuncion

Hi, in Barcelona you should see every building made by Gaudí. The most beautiful places i`ve seen are the Casa Batlló Parc Güell La Pedrera Palau de la Música Catalana, and you can find amazing buildings pretty much by just walking around. You can also go to the Montjuïc in a cableway, and the Temple of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is mindblowing. Just have fun walking around!

Allie
Thank you, Mire!

1. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  2. Parc Güell (attraction)
  3. La Pedrera (attraction)
  4. Palau de la Música Catalana (attraction)
  5. Montjuïc (attraction)
  6. Temple of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (attraction)