Sally

Barcelona

Must see's / eats / do's in Barcelona?

Hi everyone!

I'll be spending a few days in Barcelona at the end of the month before heading to Madrid. I went 5 years ago but really don't remember much so I would love some tips and recommendations! I'll be solo for most of the time and I'm staying in in Ciutat Vella.

Looking for restaurants as well as cool things to see and do. 

Thanks in advance!

Shirounda from Cleveland Heights

The Aquarium Barcelona is very nice. You can take the Hop-On Hop-Off buses around town and get a chance to see everything.They have several cable car tours that are very nice as well. Parc Güell is wonderful there is so much to choose from Barcelona is beautiful and huge try the app tripomatic it is very helpful.

1. Aquarium Barcelona (attraction)
  2. Parc Güell (attraction)

Terry from Honaunau, Hawaii

Walk Las Ramblas and go to La Boqueria.  Love the displays of fruits and seafood.  The little kiosk to the left when you go in the market is great!  Always lines of people. 

Must sees also should include Sagrada FamíliaCasa Batlló, La Pedrera and go inside of these buildings as well.  Palau de la Música Catalana is another beautiful building.  Love going to Los Caracoles Restaurant.  It's just off Las Ramblas.  Baby roasted lamb or pig is excellent and have crema Catalana for dessert.

1. Las Ramblas (attraction)
  2. La Boqueria (attraction)
  3. Sagrada Família (neighborhood)
  4. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  5. La Pedrera (attraction)
  6. Palau de la Música Catalana (attraction)
  7. Los Caracoles (restaurant)

Hello Sally! On top of my list while in Barcelona, I always recommend to spend at least one day to visit main Gaudis masterpieces such as La Pedrera, Sagrada Família, Parc Güell and Casa Batlló. However, today I want to include a little bit of flamenco to the list. At Plaça Reial (very close to the El Barri Gòtic), there is this square which is a well-known touristic attraction, especiallty at night. It has a  lot of gastronomic options such as Restaurante Italiano Rossini and MarisCO. Los Tarantos is a good option if you like flamenco as I do. Outstanding show, with excellent ambience to grab a beer, a sangria or an exquisite paella. These 3 restaurants are highly recommended. The atmosphere at "this square" is cool and full of outdoor venues.

I always recommend La Boqueria, a market that is considered as a gastronomic temple of the Catalan cuisine. Loved it!!

Barcelona in one word is PERFECTION.

Enjoy it!!

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. La Pedrera (attraction)
  3. Sagrada Família (neighborhood)
  4. Parc Güell (attraction)
  5. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  6. Plaça Reial (attraction)
  7. El Barri Gòtic (neighborhood)
  8. Restaurante Italiano Rossini (attraction)
  9. MarisCO (restaurant)
  10. Los Tarantos (attraction)
  11. La Boqueria (attraction)

Sandrine from Auvergne

Must see : Sagrada Família, Las Ramblas, Parc Güell of course, and Plaça Reial

Plaça Reial was also interesting, in the way that it's a sumup of different architecture in Spain (so it's like visiting entirely Spain in just one visit

La Pedrera (Casa Mila) and Casa Batlló are also quite interesting to check.

And, have a walk in El Raval district, old narrow streets... (watch out for pickpockets though)

at last, I'd say that I cannot go in Barcelona without having a walk on the port :)

Hope this will help, because now because of my answer, I'd love to jump in a flight for Barcelona :)

1. Sagrada Família (attraction)
  2. Las Ramblas (attraction)
  3. Parc Güell (attraction)
  4. Plaça Reial (attraction)
  5. La Pedrera (attraction)
  6. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  7. El Raval (neighborhood)

Charly from Barcelona, Spain

Hi!

So many choices! Hard to answer! I'd say that you should spend some time in new trendy areas like El Poble-sec or St Antoni to eat or drink, however Gracia is nice at the evening too. I'm a Barcelona local hero, I customize your stay depending of what you want, check it, maybe it can help you :)

1. El Poble-sec (neighborhood)
  2. St Antoni (neighborhood)
  3. Gracia (neighborhood)

Julie from Milan

Hi Sally! My favorite place for Tapas (and the cheapest and yummiest) is El El Poble-sec. There is a high concentration on one street, lots of outside tables-even in winter- and the tapas were mostly 1euro and big and yummy. Enjoy! Use Poble Sec Metro or Paralel, it is between the two.

1. El Poble-sec (neighborhood)

Sean from Hudson Valley

Everyone answers have been great.  I'd just like to add these. 

The Montjuic Cable Car runs up to the Montjuïc Castle.  The Jardí de Petra Kelly and the Estadi Olímpic de Montjuïc Lluís Companys are nearby. 

If you like the this idea, then you'll also like the Port Vell Aerial Tramway.  It travels over the port of Barcelona, giving you a spectacular view of the city.

The Maritime Museum is fun.  It's got some great exhibits.

For food, eating at La Boqueria is a good bet during the day.  At night, nothing beats heading down the El Barri Gotic and going on a tapas crawl.

1. Montjuïc Castle (attraction)
  2. Jardí de Petra Kelly (attraction)
  3. Estadi Olímpic de Montjuïc Lluís Companys (attraction)
  4. La Boqueria (attraction)

Eat at Ciudad Condal as many times as you can. You will be elbow to elbow with locals eating delicious food. Also, my best recommendation is a wonderful food tour, Aborigins local food insiders tour. It is a must. They tailor the walking tour to each groups interests and take you off the beaten path. I have recommended the tour to a bunch of friends and they ALL said it was the best thing they did in Barcelona. Finally, if you do one out of town trip, I would pick the Dalí Theatre-Museum. Enjoy.

1. Ciudad Condal (restaurant)
  2. Dalí Theatre-Museum (attraction)

Sandra from Portland

Sally

We were in Barcelona a year ago.  Has changed a bit, some of the older restaurants out and more chain restaurants and shops in.  We ate at a lovely restaurant called clóset restaurante, twice during a 3 day stay.  So good, creative dishes, great service and atmosphere, Calle Hospital, 157, 08001, in the Raval.  Also, in El Born, great little art gallery Carrer dels Mirallers, 5.  There are some other little shops that offer authentic handmade items, woven goods, clothes, in that area.  Amazing to see the old hospital, Hospital de Sant Pau, El Guinardo neighborhood.  Consider seeing a performance at the Palau de la Música Catalana.  

1. clóset restaurante (restaurant)
  2. El Born (metro area)
  3. Carrer dels Mirallers, 5 (address)
  4. Hospital de Sant Pau (attraction)
  5. Palau de la Música Catalana (attraction)

Jennifer from Austin (Texas)

My knee-jerk response to this question: El Xampanyet is a must-eat/experience and one of my favorite places in BCN! 

Rent a bike and use that to navigate the city - best way around! 

Stay in Gracia - small, cozy, neighborhood feel with narrow streets away from tourists. 

I'll add more as I think of them! :) 

1. El Xampanyet (restaurant)
  2. Gracia (neighborhood)