Carol
Tuscaloosa

Barcelona

Inexpensive food & things to do in Barcelona

I will be touring Barcelona and possibly Madrid for 9 days in September, & unfortunately I'm on a college budget. Any pointers or ideas on what to while I am there?

Julie from Milan

Hello! Barcelona can be as cheap or expensive as you need. First, go book your accommodation. It is a very beautiful walkable city so you don't need to be in the center- wherever you determine the center to be. Infact, away from touristy Las Ramblasin small neighborhoods is better anyways. 

I recommend El Poble-sec. Here is why. It's got the cheapest pinchos. These are the traditional aperitivo food on a piece of bread usually. Here I kept finding places offering large ones for just 1euro. Also in this area there are a bunch of places all along one road and feels safe and gets crowded later at night. When I stayed here it was affordable and I walked to the beach in about 20minutes. 

Oh! One last suggestion I always use is free tours. Type into google free tours Barcelona and you will see several options. They really are free. Some meet daily and at certain times and some show you certain sights. All they ask for is a self determined tip at the end. So...whatever. 5euros, 10 euros. What you think. I recommend doing it one of your first days because it will give you a good feel for the city. 

Be careful at night as always, if you want to take a taxi, they are not that expensive so do it. It is a pretty safe city every time I have been though. Just use common sense and watch your purse and phone at all times!

Have fun :)

1. Las Ramblas (attraction)
  2. El Poble-sec (attraction)

Jahn from Barcelona

Have a sandwich at Conessa. So good and so cheap. Find more in my free three day guide: www.bcnbylocals.com