James
Harare, Zimbabwe

Barcelona

I have four days to spend in Barcelona in early December, what should I do?

Accommodation is sorted

I am travelling alone 

I LOVE to Walk and explore new cities

What do you guys recommend? :^D

Thank you

Hi James,  

Everyone is on point with their recommendations. I know I'm a broken record, but I would eat at least one meal at Ciudad Condaland do a night time walking tapas tour with Aborígens - Local Food Insiders. I mention them every time I post about Barcelona. They will take you to neighborhoods that you would never go to or find by your self, and they will tailor the tour to the needs and desires of your specific group. It's usually about 5 or 6 people. I have sent probably 15 people on that tour now and all of them say it is the highlight of their trip to Barcelona.  

I try to go to to Barcelona every year and I'm considering a move there. My advice to you would be to walk the city and see as much as you can on foot. With four days, you do not have enough time to explore outside the city. Enjoy everything Gaudi, do a quick morning stroll through the La Boqueria and eat at El Quim de la Boqueria. Walk to the end of La Rambla , look at the Christopher Columbus monument, and stroll down towards the sea. You will walk by the Liechtenstein sculpture which is a representation of Barcelona is the city was a woman. Even in December, you can stroll along the beach. Tibidabois a great view especially enjoying a drink at Cafe Mirablau. See the hipsters in El Born walk around El Barri Gòtic. Everyone else has covered the rest. A lot to see, drink, and eat, and the people are warm and engaging. Lucky you, enjoy!

1. Ciudad Condal (restaurant)
  2. Aborígens - Local Food Insiders (attraction)
  3. La Boqueria (attraction)
  4. El Quim de la Boqueria (restaurant)
  5. La Rambla (attraction)
  6. Tibidabo (attraction)
  7. El Born (metro area)
  8. El Barri Gòtic (neighborhood)

Ben

There are the obvious tourist attractions, which are great, and I'm sure you'll get recommendations of Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, El Born, Parc Guell, Tibidabo...etc. which are all great, but if one of your days you fancy getting away from the crowds and if you like walking I can suggest a couple of other places.

Firstly, you could walk up to Parc del Guinardo.  This is located on the hill next to Parc Guell and provides quite a walk along fairly deserted track with a beautiful view of Barcelona.  It's a great alternative to the (very touristy) Parc Guell.

Obviously then can then walk down the hill to get to Parc Guell, which features the famous Gaudi housing estate.

Following that, I'd suggest walking down, across the Travessera de Dalt to Gracia, where you can lose yourself in the little streets and squares, including the square with the Santa Anna Church.

I'd also recommend walking up through the Poble Sec and up to the gardens of Montjuic.  Amazing views and a great walk.

Enjoy

Greta from Vilnius

Hi James! Barcelona is AMAZING. I'm a little jealous. :)

When in Barcelona, you should of course visit all the popular places Sagrada FamíliaLas Ramblas (great nightlife in this street as well!) and others. You should definitely visit Dalí Theatre-Museum, it's one of the best museums of Salvador Dali, go to Tibidabo mountain. Me and my friends once rented Vespas and went up there. Was a little chilly (it was February) but not less beautiful! And I also know there are some great experiences - one super romantic cruise and an air balloon flight over the city

which is pretty much the most breath-taking thing you can ever see. :) 

Good luck, James! Hope it helps. 

1. Sagrada Família (attraction)
  2. Las Ramblas (attraction)
  3. Dalí Theatre-Museum (attraction)
  4. Tibidabo (attraction)

Alex from Barcelona

Cat

If you love food, don't miss Devour Spain's tour once you've done the touristy stuff. Loads of food and history around the Gracia neighborhood. Day trips like Girona, Monserrat, Cadaques and Besalu are also recommendable if time permits.

Khristina from New York City

Definitely have to check the Gothic neighborhood, La Rambla, visit La Pedrera (Gaudi) , Sagrada Família and drink lots of Sangria :-)

If your hotel is nearby the Rambla there you can walk to the Gothic neighborhood and you will so many little cute alleys and beautiful architecture  

1. La Rambla (attraction)
  2. La Pedrera (attraction)
  3. Sagrada Família (attraction)

Hopefully, you will love Barcelona as much as we did.  A few of our highlights included visiting many of the Guidi buildings:  Sagrada FamíliaParc GüellCasa BatllóLa Pedrera.  Each one is unique, but they all share a common craziness that you don't often see.  Make sure to wander down Las Ramblas-even though it is full of tourists, it is worth it.  Towards the end (water), on the right side is the wonderful La Boqueria.  Wander around, look at all the crazy fresh food, and find a little place to grab a bite.  Lastly, if you are into sports like we are, I can recommend visiting the olympic areas. Take the funicular up and visit the Olympic and Sports Museum Joan Antoni Samaranch, stadium and torch.  

1. Sagrada Família (attraction)
  2. Parc Güell (attraction)
  3. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  4. La Pedrera (attraction)
  5. Las Ramblas (attraction)
  6. La Boqueria (attraction)
  7. Olympic and Sports Museum Joan Antoni Samaranch (attraction)

Andreas from Malmö, Sweden

Get a Metro T10 card which gives you 10 trips on the Metro which is great, and you can get around the city very easily and then walk.

Parc Güell is a given. Big park you can walk up through with both Gaudi architecture and a great view of Barcelona from the top of the park. Climb up to the cross!

Montjuic mountain has lots of beautiful small parks and spots all the way up the mountain and also a great view from the top.

Parque de la Ciutadella is one of my personal favorites. Very pretty and calm park where I go jogging in the mornings.

El Born has lots of great tapas bars and restaurants. El Raval does too and is cheaper. Barrio Gotico where I live is fun but quite filled with tourists. The area by Port Vell where you can walk by the harbor and all the way past Barceloneta beach is beautiful and highly recommended.

You can also walk from Port Vell and Colom up the tourist filled La Rambla street to Plaza Catalunya and then onward up Paseig de Gracia where you will find several of the famous buildings of the city like La Pedrera.

Check out Yelp for recommendations on good restaurants and bars. There are a lot of nice little places like amazing Sushi restaurant Toyo up in Gracia.

Vlad from Chisinau, Moldova

Hi James,

I see that no one here said about the historical part of the city which is called El Barri Gòtic or the Gothic Quarter. There are the remains of the old Roman fortress. There are a lot of interesting buildings there. Also it's a crowded area as many tourists come there to see it.

From there you can go to the beach area of Barcelona, but there isn't much to do in December over there. So an alternative would be to go through the city and see the famous shopping street Passeig de Gràcia, Barcelona and see on this street the famous architectural monuments of Gaudi: Casa Batlló and La Pedrera and a few more. There is another UNESCO monument not far which you can see and have a guided tour of if you like concert halls as Palace of Catalan Music is an unique place.

There is also an unique Zoo in Barcelona that I would like to see maybe next time I visit Barcelona.

Hope that you will find what you are looking for to see in Barcelona. There are so many things to say and not enough words to describe all the great places you can see there.

1. El Barri Gòtic (neighborhood)
  2. Passeig de Gràcia, Barcelona (attraction)
  3. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  4. La Pedrera (attraction)
  5. Palace of Catalan Music (attraction)

Charly from Barcelona, Spain

Hi! Barcelona has a lot to offer depending on the days you're coming, many special events or traditions. Close to the Cathedral there's a funny Christmas market with funny Catalan traditional handcrafts.

If you like to explore, I recommend you to ask a local hero to customize your stay, I'm one of the local heroes and I really think it's the best way to make the most of your trip and explore the local life. Have a look!