Christie
Greece

Barcelona

How many days should I stay in Barcelona?

Hi everyone!
First time in Spain, and i would like to know how many days is the ideal to stay there.
P.S. I'm planning to go there in the middle of September.

Thank you in advance ❤

Deborah from Toronto

I agree with Sandra's comment, Barcelona is a great city and you can easily spend a week there with lots to keep you busy. If you are short on time you could see the main sights (Basílica de la Sagrada FamíliaCathedral of BarcelonaLas RamblasGaudí BarMontserrat) in 4 days. Train is a very accessible way to get around Spain but some distance can be very long requiring an overnight so check that first if you want to visit some surrounding areas. Some places nearby I would recommend are SitgesTarragonaProvince of Girona and the Costa Brava. Happy travels! 

1. Basílica de la Sagrada Família (attraction)
  2. Cathedral of Barcelona (attraction)
  3. Las Ramblas (attraction)
  4. Gaudí Bar (attraction)
  5. Montserrat (attraction)
  6. Sitges (city)
  7. Tarragona (city)
  8. Province of Girona (attraction)
  9. Costa Brava (attraction)

Martine from France

Hi, we've been to Barcelona often, it's easy for us living in France. I don't know what you're interested in, or if you'll be traveling elsewhere after that, but I would stay 3 to 4 days in this city. It's enough time to visit the main attractions. It's not a big city and you will have seen everything. Hope this helps!

Sarit from Bat Yam

4 days

Ghelec from Romania

Hi Christie!

Great idea you had! Barcelona is such a lively and beautiful city. I would recommend about 6-7 days!

Just strolling around the attractions and it would take you a few days. Don't forget to explore the Guell park or the botanical garden. Enjoy the sun on the beach or just relax on the Port Vell esplanade. And don't forget to visit the architectural beauties by Antoni Gaudi.

;)

Sandra from Portland

In my opinion you cannot have too many days in Barcelona. Get ready to fall in love. Plus easy to do some day trips by train. A week, minimum.

Lifetime

Around 4 5 days should be enough to visit it deeply, and maybe even take a 1 day trip to Montserrator Girona.

But within 4 intense days you can see most of Barcelonaattractions.

1. Montserrat (attraction)
  2. Girona (city)
  3. Barcelona (city)

Jess from Minsk

Ideal will be 10-14 days. It's enough to see the most interesting places.

Melissa from Massachusetts

We spent 3-4 days there on our honeymoon. We could easily have spent longer, but we did feel like we saw a good portion of the main sights during our time - Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Montjuic, the Catalan art museum, a Barcelona football match...that being said, there were other things we wanted to do that we ran out of time for. So at least 4?

Jahn from Barcelona

Hi Christie,

at least 3 days (check my free guide over at #BCN - by locals. I would say you need to check Tibidabo for the overview, drink a Vermut in a bar in El Borne like the Bormuth and walk the shoreline Platja de Sant Sebastià for the inner city beach feeling. Have fun! Barcelona rulez, cheerz, Jahn

little pic from up there on the Tibidabo...

1. Tibidabo (attraction)
  2. Bormuth (restaurant)
  3. Platja de Sant Sebastià (attraction)

Evelina from Naples, Italy

Hi! I think it depends on your needs. If you are going on summer so you both want to go to the beach some days and go around the city in the others you may need 6 or 7 days. If you just want to visit the artistic part of the city 4 or 5 days in my opinion are fine. Fort the most attractive places even 3 days are good.

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hi Christie,

You could spend a month in Barcelona and feel like you haven't seen it all.  You'll certainly feel that you haven't had enough.

The answer to your question depends a lot on how you're traveling on this particular trip. 

• How long will you be traveling, over all? 
  • How many other places do you plan on visiting?
  • Where will you be coming from, and where will you be heading afterwards?
  • How flexible is your schedule?

If you're arriving early in the day, and plan to hit the ground running, I'd say give yourself three to four days, minimum, before you move on. 

It would help to have a plan, however vague it may be.   Between now and September

1. Get yourself a map of the city. Circle those places you wish to see.  This will help you develop an sightseeing itinerary.
  2. Go on line and download a map of Barcelona's metro system.  This will allow you to mark on your map those stations that will be useful to your itinerary.
  3. Although I know there will probably be countless Trippy users who will cry "Blasphemy!" upon reading this, skip dining in restaurants.   Please don't misunderstand me!  There is nothing wrong with the restaurant scene in Barcelona.  In fact, there are some excellent restaurants in Barcelona.  However, if you're trying to squeeze the most out of your time there, opt for picnicking during the day, and a Tapas crawl at night.  Truth be told, I'm a sucker for tapas.  Also, you can pick-up some cheese, cured meats, bread and fruit, and you'll have a picnic the will be the envy of restaurant goers everywhere.

One last suggestion (I promise!);  if your time in Barcelona is part of a larger trip, that is you're visiting Barcelona in the middle of your travels, you've probably been doing your fair share of hurrying about.  It might be a nice idea for you, and your overstimulated psyche to spend a day, or even half a day at one of Barcelona's beaches.  I've always felt they're highly underrated.

Feel free to message me if I can be of any further help.

Happy travels!