Rosalie

Barcelona

Area to Stay in Barcelona, Spain

Visiting Barcelona in Sept. 2016. What is the best area to stay in and to possibly rent an apt. or condo?

Jodie

Try and find a place in La Barceloneta or El Born Centre Cultural i de Memòria if you would prefer to be in walking distance the centre of the city and feel like a local. Try not to buy food or coffee from Cafes on La Rambla as its a total tourist trap. Walk a couple of streets off the main drag and you'll find some local gems.  

A cookey fairy themed bar. Great for a quick drink after walking down Las Ramblas.. 

El Bosc de les Fades

Something special meal:- (this is Catalunya so don't expect speedy American style service, order some wine drink, talk and enjoy the evening) 

Pla Restaurant

Best kebab in Barcelona, trust me on this one:- 

Bella Istanbul

Evening drinks and cocktails:- 

Barroc Café

There are a ton more places to visit, all with the charm and wonder this old city has to offer. Explore and enjoy!

1. La Barceloneta (attraction)
  2. El Born Centre Cultural i de Memòria (attraction)
  3. La Rambla (attraction)
  4. El Bosc de les Fades (attraction)
  5. Pla Restaurant (restaurant)
  6. Bella Istanbul (restaurant)
  7. Barroc Café (restaurant)

Melissa from Massachusetts

When I was there on my honeymoon, we rented a place on AirBnb that was in Poble Sec. It was super easy to get around thanks to the Metro stop right there, but we wished we'd been a little bit more centrally located. I'd still recommend it, but also would add El Raval, Las Ramblas, El Borne, El Gótico, or L'Eixample to the list of suggested areas. The most important thing to remember is that Barcelona has an awesome metro system, so as long as you're near a stop (which I HIGHLY recommend), getting around anywhere will be easy when you don't feel like walking!

Melissa from Simi Valley, California

Anywhere close to the main street, La Rambla. Barcelona has an excellent Metro system.

1. La Rambla (attraction)

Amanda from Atlanta

We liked the Vila de Gràcia area a little north of town.  Many restaurants, shops and small parks and it feels like a real neighborhood--because it is.  We rented an AirBnB apartment in Gràcia and it was very convenient.  The area has a lot to offer and is still walkable to many sights.  We walked to Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera and on to Las Ramblas (we did take a taxi back from the Latin Quarter after a long day of walking). 

1. Vila de Gràcia (attraction)

Lifetime

Graciaoffers lots of accommodations without being a tourist hotspot. But easy access to downtown.

1. Gracia (neighborhood)

Hello Rosalie,

I stayed at the Hostal BCN Ramblas, located at  El Barri Gòtic and Barcelona City La Rambla area. It offers very clean and modern rooms at very affordable prices. 100% recommended!

Saludos!!

1. Hostal BCN Ramblas (hotel)
  2. El Barri Gòtic (attraction)
  3. Barcelona City La Rambla (hotel)

Kax from Barcelona

I recommend staying in Villa de Gracia. I live in the area and I think it's perfect for tourists. It's not too crazy with the crowd. Much cleaner than staying downtown. It has a lot of tiny restaurants that serve amazing food (that is probably half the price and 10x better than the ones downtown) and bars. Have a beer at any of the plazas, have some tapas and just soak in the afternoon sun and the Barcelona life. Metro and buses are efficient so you will not have any problem getting around. It's close to Sagrada Familia, and Parc Guell too.