Courtney

Courtney from Los Angeles asked

Shopping areas is Thailand?

I may be going to Thailand later this year and would love to know where to go for great shopping. The only thing that doesn't really interest me would be higher-end shops like Chanel, etc. that can easily be found in the U.S. I like small, independently run boutiques or just areas with interesting stores. That said, I'd be interested in department stores as well. 

Bangkok

So much shopping to be done in Bangkok that I feel like I've only barely scratched the surface even though I've been to a bunch!  Here are the standout few:

• Pratunam Market -- One of my favorites.  Old school-looking and you can pick up clothes, costume jewelry, food, accessories, toys, and all sorts of other random knick knacks and souvenirs.
  • The Platinum Fashion Mall -- This is a block away from the Pratunam Center and it's like the slightly fancier and more upscale version of it.  Its got air conditioning!

For Thai mall shopping experience, check out these two places.  Both are really nice and filled with Thai department stores, independent stores, and lots of restaurants:

For the night street market experience, check out these places, which are all the classier and more legit night markets (not red light district):

Shop your heart out! ;D

Courtney
OMG, this is great, Debbie! I think I've heard about the night markets but forgot about them--definitely going to try those!!! Thanks!!!

A must in Bangkok! :)

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

Also check out the Chatuchak Weekend Market. Known as J.J. (part of the JJ Mall), over 5000 stalls of everything imaginable including your own live animal. Try to pack that.

If you can get down to Bang Lamung, be sure to check out the Floating Market. Everything is sold from boats. It's really beautiful around dusk. 

1. Chatuchak Weekend Market (attraction)
  2. Floating Market (attraction)