Courtney

Bangkok

Must-sees in Bangkok

I may be in Bangkok later this year and since the trip is somewhat unexpected, I'm not very well prepared. I'd love to have some ideas about what people feel are must-sees in the city. That could mean museums, gardens, etc. I don't care--if it's interesting I'd like to see it. I won't have too much time to myself since it's for business, so I want to hit the ground running. Thanks!

Dorothy from Long Island

If you've had your fill of traditional Thai and are looking for something a little different, consider booking a reservation Soul Food Mahanakorn. Since it sounds like you're traveling solo, sit at the bar and have a well crafted cocktail (one of the few in town!) and make friends with Jared, the owner, who can often be found mixing drinks. If you're looking to meet a local (many of whom are actually ex-pats), this is a fun place to be and could be a relaxing stop on a busy business trip.

As far as sightseeing, I'd recommend The Temple of The Emerald Buddha Wat Phra Kaew, also known as the Royal Palace. While it's an obvious recommendation, it's a popular destination for a reason: the reclining Emerald Buddha it houses is beyond impressive! Check out more info on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Phra_Kaew

Finally, a trip to Thailand isn't complete without getting a Thai massage and the place I've been a few times and can confidently recommend is Health Land Sathorn, which is housed in an old mansion and filled to the brim with locals looking for a massage from morning till late at night. (My last visit was on a Saturday at 10pm, and the place was packed with groups of 20-somethings who seemed to have opted to hit up the spa rather than the the bar.)

One warning -- the spa can feel more chaotic than deluxe during the busier evening hours, due to the popularity of the place. That said, the value of this spa cannot be beat at any hour - for $13, you get two hours (two  hours!) of traditional Thai massage. To indulge, simply have someone from your hotel call ahead and book you a reservation at the location closest to your hotel (Health Land is a chain). If you can splurge on your trip and want to go really high end, consider a Thai Massage ($85/hour) at @  The Oriental Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok; a friend went and raves about it. 

1. Soul Food Mahanakorn (restaurant)
  2. The Temple of The Emerald Buddha (attraction)
  3. The Oriental Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok (attraction)
  4. Wat Phra Kaew (attraction)
  5. Health Land Sathorn (attraction)

Chiara from San Francisco

Hi Courtney,

We stayed in Bangkok three times during our trip in Thailand. We used it as a connection point to move around the country.

In Bangkok, you will find a lot of malls with food courts. They have a lot of options: restaurants or areas with small stalls and tables where you have to use a rechargeable card to pay. Basically, you choose an amount based on what you want to eat, pay at the cashier and they will give you a card to give to the stall when you order your food. The tables in this area can be used by all customers. We aren’t fans of malls but we liked the food at Siam Paragon

There are a couple of temples worth seeing in the city. We visited Wat Hua Lam Phong The Golden Buddha Temple Wat Pho This last one contains a giant golden reclining buddha. Temples are part of the Thai culture and for this reason, it’s important to visit them.

WHERE TO EAT (outside of malls):

Somtum Der for the superb fried chicken. And in the Siam area, you can find good and cheap Asian food at the restaurant Inter. At Cafe 511 in front of Hua Lampong station, we had the best Pad Thai. We tried many during our month in Thailand: at the malls, at stalls in the street, to go and at restaurants on the beach. It took one entire month to find the perfect Pad Thai, and surprisingly we found it in a small restaurant by the railway station the last night.

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

2. Siam Paragon (attraction)
  3. Wat Hua Lam Phong (attraction)
  4. The Golden Buddha Temple (attraction)
  5. Wat Pho (attraction)

Jennifer from Hoi An

How many day will you be in Bangkok, Courtney? My friends just visited the city last month. They had a wonderful trip there for 2 days. Here was their trip:

Day 1: From the airport, they visited The Bangkok National Museum for 2 hours then have lunch at krua apsorn Restaurante (It was delicious food and reasonable price)

In the afternoon, visit the Grand PalaceWat Pho and Saranrom Park.

You can have dinner in China town.

Day 2: from 8.00 am, visiting Joke Samyan, Golden Buddha (Wat Traimit), Wat Suthat Thepwararam Ratchaworamahawihan, Wat Ratchanatda School (Loha Prasat), Khao San Road.

For  more detail, you can visit here http://www.justgola.com/plan/2-days-in-bkk-for-backpackers-14898

1. Bangkok National Museum (attraction)
  2. krua apsorn Restaurante (restaurant)
  3. Grand Palace (neighborhood)
  4. Wat Pho (attraction)
  5. Saranrom Park (attraction)
  6. China town (attraction)
  7. Joke Samyan (restaurant)
  8. Golden Buddha (attraction)
  9. Wat Suthat Thepwararam Ratchaworamahawihan (attraction)
  10. Wat Ratchanatda School (attraction)
  11. Khao San Road (attraction)

Martijn from Amsterdam

You should definitely go on one of the water taxis going along the Chao Phraya river at sunset. My personal hightlight is the cycling tour by "Co van Kessel' leaving from the Grand China Pricess Hotel in Chinatown. You will start biking around Chinatown in the morning and explore the little villages outside of Bangkok with a great guide.

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

Check out Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn. It's said to be actually even more beautiful at sunset than dawn, this Buddhist temple is a famous landmark. Architectural touches incorporate tiny pieces of coloured glass and Chinese porcelain and weave them into intricate patterns.

1. Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn (attraction)