Courtney

Bangkok

Great neighborhoods in Bangkok/walking in Bangkok

I may be taking an unexpected trip to Bangkok later this year for work and I know almost nothing about the city. Can someone give me an idea of neighborhoods that would either be good to stay in, or just good to walk around in? I'd much prefer quirky neighborhoods over super-expensive ones if possible. Thanks!

Breanna from Los Angeles

Hey Courtney! I stayed at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit and absolutely loved the area (and the hotel!). The rooftop Octave Rooftop Lounge & Bar especially :)There are a lot of great restaurants and bars in this area, Soul Food Mahanakorn isn't to be missed. It was my absolute favorite restaurant on my trip and a new top three all-time favorite restaurant!

Most importantly, there are plenty of $3/hour massage options in this area. Go ahead and splurge on 2 a day like I did :)

1. Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (attraction)
  2. Octave Rooftop Lounge & Bar (restaurant)
  3. Soul Food Mahanakorn (restaurant)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I stayed in Siam, near the shopping malls, which is good but if I ever go back I'd rather stay in Silom, it's near the river, has restaurants and shops and good transport so you can go almost everywhere by train, subway, boat or tuc-tuc

Nam from Bangkok

Neighborhoods that suitable for walking are not much in Bangkok. The good time for walking is at weekend which business and schools are closed.

I always spend free time at weekend around old town along Chao Phraya River. At present, there are some renovation for old town projects which will revive the charming of Bangkok soon.

Museums, temples and local restaurants are the main spots surrounded by local communities.

A handful of riverside boutique hotels are available such as Sala Rattanakosin, Riva Surya Bangkok Hotel and Arun Residence.

For great view, Eat Sight Storyrestaurant is recommended. It located opposite Temple of Dawn. Another choice is rooftop bar at Sala Rattanakosin, providing night scene of the Grand PalaceWat Phoand Temple of Down. Don't Miss!

2. Sala Rattanakosin (hotel)
  3. Riva Surya Bangkok Hotel (attraction)
  4. Arun Residence (restaurant)
  5. Temple of Dawn (attraction)
  6. Grand Palace (attraction)
  7. Wat Pho (attraction)
  8. Eat Sight Story (attraction)