Javier
Zaragoza

Bangkok

Good restaurants and real experiences in Bangkok

Hello, I would be grateful for information about good restaurants, shopping, amusement places and real  experiences that could be done in Bangkok

The trip is in August.
Thank you very much

Dennis from Copenhagen

Hi Javier, regarding restaurants I would recommend to try all from street food (which is often the most authentic) to top end restaurants (A LOT cheaper than in Europe), I myself have plans to visit Sra Bua (Sra Buaand Bo Lan (Bo Lan) which should be some really good experiences.

Amusements and experiences depends a lot on what you're into? I myself like to walk around, take a river boat or the local bus and suck in the city and the everyday life of the locals. But there's a lot of (tourist)places to go and visit, e.g. The Grand Palace, The Wat Saket, Khao San Road, Muay Thai at the Lumpinee Boxing Stadium etc.

Have a good trip!

1. Sra Bua (restaurant)
  2. Bo Lan (restaurant)
  3. Grand Palace (attraction)
  4. Wat Saket (attraction)
  5. Lumpinee Boxing Stadium (attraction)
  6. Khao San Road (attraction)

Cristina from Brussels

Hello Javier,

The city is huge so I would go with some sort of plan. But it is also fun to get lost. I recommend the following:

1 - eat street food in the markets;

2 - go up the Wat Saket;

3 - have a drink at Vertigo Bar (http://www.banyantree.com/en/bangkok/). No need to eat there but go while it's still light and wait for the sunset and night to fall on the city - lovely view of the entire city.

4 - for some quiet time visit the Jim Thompson House.

5 - Eat at Cabbages & Condoms

I was no impressed by the MBK shopping mall or markets: indeed you can buy cheap stuff but the quality is questionable.

1. Wat Saket (attraction)
  2. Vertigo Bar (attraction)
  3. Jim Thompson House (attraction)
  4. Cabbages & Condoms (restaurant)

Jodi from Funchal

For food, I always recommend Jarrett Wrisley's Soul Food Mahanakorn, a quick walk from the sky train's Thong Lor stop.  Great food and great drinks, with a sister resto (APPIA) that opened more recently.

1. Soul Food Mahanakorn (restaurant)
  2. APPIA (restaurant)

Nam from Bangkok

For up scale Thai restaurants, there are more places to go than ever. the new and interesting are Siam Wisdom,The Never Ending Summer.

Supanniga Eating Roomand Paste Bangkokare nice too.

1. Siam Wisdom (restaurant)
  2. The Never Ending Summer (restaurant)
  3. Supanniga Eating Room (restaurant)
  4. Paste Bangkok (restaurant)

Nattanit from Thailand

There are some nice places that we love to hang out with friends, such as Siam ParagonSiam DiscoveryCentral WorldMBK Center They're large shopping mall that you can find nice restaurants, coffee shops, cinemas, shops, or souvenir shops. You can go every places by walking. 

There is also a nice and cheap shopping market called Pratunam Market that you can go there by motorcycle or bus. 

Hope my answer can helps you. :)

1. Siam Paragon (attraction)
  2. Siam Discovery (attraction)
  3. Central World (attraction)
  4. MBK Center (attraction)
  5. Pratunam Market (attraction)

Tracy from Sioux City

If you want a very cool dining experience (though not cheap) visit Sirocco at the lebua at State Tower Absolutely amazing view (and the food's not too bad either :)

1. Sirocco (restaurant)
  2. lebua at State Tower (hotel)

Hi, Javier,

For me, one of the "realest" places in Bangkok was the Little India area. It is NOT for you if you don't like crowds and/or get antsy in congested areas but it's a pretty fascinating, somewhat gritty neighborhood that I really found to be a highlight of my trip. 

Even though it's a tourist attraction, don't miss the reclining Buddha at Wat Pho. It really was one of the most extraordinary things I think I've ever seen in my life. I know this is an incredibly dissatisfying answer but the best meals I had were actually at the mall. There's a restaurant at the Siam Center called Midtown Thai Bistro And Wine Bar that's absolutely great and very cheap. I ate there several times and was never disappointed. 

Have a great time--it's an amazing city!!!

1. Little India (restaurant)
  2. Wat Pho (attraction)
  3. Siam Center (attraction)
  4. Midtown Thai Bistro And Wine Bar (restaurant)

Hi, Javier,

For me, one of the "realest" places in Bangkok was the Little India area. It is NOT for you if you don't like crowds and/or get antsy in congested areas but it's a pretty fascinating, somewhat gritty neighborhood that I really found to be a highlight of my trip. Tons and tons of stores and restaurants and endless hustle and bustle. 

Even though it's a tourist attraction, don't miss the reclining Buddha at Wat Pho. It really was one of the most extraordinary things I think I've ever seen in my life. I know this is an incredibly dissatisfying answer but the best meals I had were actually at the mall. There's a restaurant at the Siam Paragon called Midtown Thai Bistro And Wine Bar that's absolutely great and very cheap. I ate there several times and was never disappointed. 

1. Little India (restaurant)
  2. Wat Pho (attraction)
  3. Siam Paragon (attraction)