Kim
Canada

Bangkok

Fun splurges for a solo birthday in Bangkok?

I planned my upcoming 2 month solo SE Asia trip so my birthday would fall right in the middle. Originally I thought I'd be in Siem Reap on my birthday but as it's panning out looks like I will be in Bangkok. I'm not a big partier and don't drink a lot but I'm hoping to meet some friends along the way and since I'll be in the big city splurge a little on the big day. Travelling on a limited budget I've saved a bit especially for a little pampering or luxury for this special occasion and could shell out up to a couple hundred (CAD) to make the day extra memorable. Any tips or recommendations for activities or places to visit for that special or out of the box experience in and around Bangkok would be much appreciated :)

Daniel from Vancouver

Go see Red Sky to have a drink and see the view at Sunset on the roof. http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/red-sky.htm

Only have to buy a couple drinks at $5 or so. Expensive for a drink but WAY better than the $50 ticket on other similar towers see in movies. Get there a bit early (before sunset) for a decent spot   :)

1. Red Sky (restaurant)

Dave

On your big day, it's probably worth scheduling a nice spa experience. Thai massages are incredible. Sorry, can't give you any specific recommendations, but I'm sure there are many options. A Thai cooking class is also a good way to spend the day to take a break from sightseeing. In the evening, close to sunset, head to Sky Bar for a drink, the view is impressive. If it looks familiar, that's because it was featured in Hangover 2, but that's not why I'm recommending it. 

Some inexpensive options for your other days, I would recommend the Chatuchak Weekend Market, even if you don't buy anything the experience is memorable. I also really enjoyed taking the ferry up and down the Chao Phraya river, it costs something like 40 cents and is a great way to see a lot of the city on the cheap. Otherwise, spend lots of time eating street food. I love Bangkok!

1. Sky Bar (restaurant)
  2. Chatuchak Weekend Market (attraction)

While it isn't out of the box, it is certainly memorable and spectacular!  Head to Sky Bar at the top of the top of the lebua hotel.  We went early, right when it opened, but it quickly filled up.  And you will most certainly meet people while there!  The views are incredible, and the cocktails so yummy!

1. Sky Bar (restaurant)