Kimberly

Bangkok, Thailand

Best shopping in Bangkok?

I'm going to Bangkok in a couple of months and I keep hearing that I should pack light because the shopping is so amazing, I'm going to want to buy a lot! It seems like there are a lot of markets and malls - what are the best ones? Does it matter or are they all great? Also, any bartering tips would be appreciated - I'm the worst!

jennifer from Houston

Hi Kimberly! The Chatuchak Weekend Market is THE shopping event in Bangkok. I'm pretty sure its the largest outdoor market in the world and last time I went I had a whole empty suitcase just for souvenirs from there. The market is broken up into different sections by wares and the expectation is that you haggle something fierce.  

My favorite method to haggling is to play up the struggling student/newlywed/graduate. Don't wear any nice jewelry or clothing the days you want to visit the market and always be sure to emphasize that you don't want to insult them with your lowballed offers and more than you had budgeted for. People who haggle by insulting the quality of the wares or who say something isn't worth the price end up empty handed and without the goods; more flies with honey, etc. 

Good luck and don't be afraid to walk away. Also, people are often more eager to close a sale at the end of the day or first thing in the am. Oh! And it gets pretty hot, dress in breatheable material and stop for cheap footrubs!

1. Chatuchak Weekend Market (attraction)

Aroha from Auckland

Chatuchak Weekend Market is great lots of bargains to be had, you can buy anything here! I also enjoyed shopping at the Pratunam Market wholesale market, mainly clothes, and some gorgeous embellishments, sequins, flowers, etc if you sew. There is a large hotel called Baiyoke Sky Hotel, with a sky bar, in the heart of this market- for convenience, though I haven't stayed there. One price for single items, and a wholesale price if you buy 3, I bought skirts for $6NZD, tops for $3, just to give you an idea of price. It is incredibly hot, and humid, definitely stop for a cool drink and a massage! There is a fly-over that goes over the road to Platinum Fashion Mall, which has air conditioning, and lots of shops, approx 6 levels of clothes, shoes and accessories. Have a great trip!

2. Pratunam Market (attraction)
  3. Baiyoke Sky Hotel (hotel)
  4. Platinum Fashion Mall (attraction)

Dennis from Copenhagen

Go to Siam Square - there's a lot of malls, ranging from top brands to litterally market like stores where you can bargain the price e.g. MBK Center or Lido Shopping Center. Else if you're there during the weekend go to the Chatuchak Weekend Market which is massive + you can find everything you like. Have a good trip...8)

1. Siam Square (attraction)
  2. MBK Center (attraction)
  3. Lido Shopping Center (attraction)
  4. Chatuchak Weekend Market (attraction)