Liv
Cape Cod

Bangkok

Best open-air markets?

Last time I was in Bangkok I wasn't able to get to any of the famous open-air markets so I really want to make sure I see them this time around. Which are the best ones for trying authentic, local food? I also want to try to go to a floating market! Which one is a must-see?

Jodi from Funchal

The biggest and most incredible of the markets is Chatucak Market, open only on weekends. There's a reason they give you a map if you want it; it's huge. Everything from food to furniture to pets to art -- and much more. Take the BTS to BTS หมอชิต (Mo Chit) N8 station to get there.

ตลาดเยาวราช (Yaowarat Market) Sampeng Market (Yaowarat) is also really fun, in the middle of Chinatown's hustle and bustle.  Take the public boats on the Chao Phraya river to ท่าเรือข้ามฟากราชวงศ์ (Ratchawong Crossing Pier) and then walk to the market from there.

For food, one of the city's biggest fresh markets is ตลาดคลองเตย (Klong Toei Market). It's a local market, but an important one for food coming in and out of the city. Take the subway to MRT คลองเตย (Khlong Toei) KHO station.

For a quieter floating market (unlike the oft-recommended Amphawa one) Klong Lat Mayom Floating Market. Directions here: http://migrationology.com/2010/09/khlong-lat-mayom-floating-market/

1. Chatucak Market (attraction)
  2. BTS หมอชิต (Mo Chit) N8 (attraction)
  3. ตลาดเยาวราช (Yaowarat Market) (attraction)
  4. ท่าเรือข้ามฟากราชวงศ์ (Ratchawong Crossing Pier) (attraction)
  5. ตลาดคลองเตย (Klong Toei Market) (attraction)
  6. MRT คลองเตย (Khlong Toei) KHO (attraction)
  7. Klong Lat Mayom Floating Market (attraction)

Dennis from Copenhagen

I agree with Jodi, the Chatuchak Weekend Market is a must go!

Also I can recommend going to Chinatown (open everyday), which is a circus - a lot of crazy plastic stuff and an amazing atmosphere.

Have a safe trip!

1. Chatuchak Weekend Market (attraction)
  2. Chinatown (attraction)