Courtney

Bangkok

Best air carrier to Bangkok?

Does anyone have any opinions on the best carrier to Bangkok? We're chosing between Cathy Pacific and Korean Air although there's a small possibility of using United. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Melissa from St. John's, Newfoundland

I've flown Korean Air but only on short distances and had no complaints (nothing standout either). I've heard great things about Cathay Pacific. Avoid United. I've had the odd good flight with them but generally...ugh.

One thing to consider though, do you collect frequent flyer points with any particular airline? That may influence who you book with.

Cathay is with the OneWorld alliance, Korean Air is with SkyTeam and United is with Star Alliance. 

I know that EVA Air flies there!  My friends rave about them and I've always wanted to try them out (especially the Hello Kitty plane!), but it didn't work out the last time I flew.  The flights on China Airlines (not to be mistaken with Air China) ended up working better for me.  Their website's a little archaic, but the flight experience wasn't bad.

I don't have any recent experiences with Korean Air, but I love Cathay -- lovely planes, great customer service -- so if that's an option, make it one of your top choices.  United's always a possibility, but I try to avoid them when I can ;)

Brett from Long Beach

It all depends on what you care about most and which class you're flying.  If it's in coach, then the best legroom you'll find is if you fly United and pay to upgrade into Economy Plus.  (Cathay Pacific has a true premium economy class but that'll be more expensive.)  If you care about inflight entertainment, make sure you are not on a United 747 over the water.  That airplane still only has overhead screens like it's 1985.

Also think about if you want two long flights or one really long one and one short one.  Going through Hong Kong on Cathay gives you one short one at the end (about 2.5 hours).  Going through Incheon on Korean gives you a 5.5+ hour flight down to Bangkok.  But Incheon is an awesome airport.

Vicky from Los Angeles

My whole family is a big fan of Cathay Pacific for the service (and HK airport is huge and fun - you can shop, get on the free wi-fi, and have dimsum at 7am!) They're also always on time. I find that it's worth buying the Economy Premium fare (at times only $200 more than regular economy) as you'll be at the top of their upgrade list for their awesome flat-bed business class where you actually get a real cotton-lined comforter instead of those itchy polyester blend blankets.