Sulabh

Bangkok

5 days in Thailand - need help with planning

Going to Thailand in Jan 2016 for about 5 days. I'll be traveling with my wife and 1 yr old daughter. I'm hoping to get a taste of the culture as well as spend few days in luxury. Have been thinking of spending two days in Phuket and 2 - 3 days in Bangkok? Have heard Bangkok could be pretty crazy with the traffic jams etc. Any tips from experienced travelers who've been to Thailand will be highly appreciated. Should i just give Bangkok a skip and go to other less touristy places? Also, tips on choosing a resort in Phuket would be appreciated. This would be my first trip to Thailand :) 

Nam from Bangkok

For Bangkok visit with your wife and a 1 year old daughter, If your choice is shopping in city centre, fine dining and spa, stay at 5-star hotel which BTS / MRT line passed.

If you prefer cultural experience such as temples, museums and riverside places in the old town, you can avoid poor traffic by spending the time at weekend and travel by chartered taxi.

Pj from Bangkok

There are many reasons you shouldn't skip Bangkok. 1. It is one of oldest capital cities in Asia ~225 years, so it has a lot to do and see, e.g. Grand Palace, Bangkok National Museum, etc. 2. There are some places that you can experience urban lifestyle with contradiction of old and slow lifestyle, e.g. Chinatown,  Charoenkrung, etc. 3. Bangkok is connected to many favorite touristic places, e.g. Floating market, Hua Hin - Colonial style beach city, Pattaya - great for night life, etc.

1. Grand Palace (attraction)
  2. Bangkok National Museum (attraction)
  3. Hua Hin (city)
  4. Pattaya (city)

Aizik from Bangkok

I LOVE Bangkok VERY much.
But, You're traveling with 1 year old baby.
She will not enjoy and you will not make the most of this city.
So, my advice to you: Skip Bangkok.
Don't drag your daughter to see all the temples and shopping in Bangkok and you can't take her through the night life.
If you're coming for 1 week only, I would suggest you go to Kanchanaburi.
There, you all can enjoy Thai nature with nice resorts, temples, waterfalls, history and Thai food. Then. You can pass Bangkok on your way in and out, make some shopping - Go to MBK & Siam Paragon.
Try to apply to one of the recommended travel agencies and take a full tour to all the aria of Kanchanaburi. Let them drive you from place to the other and make for you the whole plane.

2. Kanchanaburi (attraction)

Pj from Bangkok

For Phuket, there are 2 choices, if you prefer Chino-Portugese town, you can choose Phuket downtown area. If you wanna stay close to the beach, try to avoid Patong Beach, it's too touristy and crowded. Karon and Kata Beach beach are nice and not too crowded.

1. Patong Beach (attraction)
  2. Karon (attraction)
  3. Kata Beach (attraction)