Juliana
Las Vegas

Bangalore

Solo traveler with 24 hours in Bangalore

I'll be stopping in Bangalore on my way to Goa. I'll be a single female traveling on my own, and I only have a little more than 24 hours total. Given my limited time, what are some of the things I shouldn't miss? And what's the best area for me to stay in?

Juanma from Concepción, Chile

Bangalore is full of expats so it's pretty safe for solo travellers, even women (I lived there for one year) . I recomend you to visit the commercial area of Shivaji Nagar and Commercial Street, it's kind of a mess but that's what India is about. You can go by walking from M.G Road Metro Station. The parks also are very nice, specially Cubbon Park and Lalbagh Botanical Garden. If you like good food and party I recomend you Indira Nagar (you can go by metro). Toit Brewpub is a nice place to eat and if you want to party you can go to 380 Down. Indira Nagar is also nice place to stay, otherwise downtown near Brigade Road and Richmond Town are also nice.

Also the Kemp Fort Shiv Mandir Temple Shiva Temple is very kitsch and interesting.

Bangalore is much friendlier than other Indian cities, so I recomend you to walk and explore by your own. Have a nice trip!

1. Shivaji Nagar (attraction)
  2. Commercial Street (attraction)
  3. M.G Road Metro Station (attraction)
  4. Cubbon Park (attraction)
  5. Lalbagh Botanical Garden (attraction)
  6. Indira Nagar (neighborhood)
  7. Toit Brewpub (attraction)
  8. 380 Down (attraction)
  9. Brigade Road (attraction)
  10. Richmond Town (attraction)
  11. Kemp Fort Shiv Mandir Temple (attraction)

tom

The airport is about an hour to an hour an hour and 45 mins away from the center of the city.   You can take a volvo bus (red ones just outside the airport), but if you have luggage or if you're travelling at night please take the prepaid taxi or the airport taxi outside the airport.  Since you have a limited time, go straight to one of the many 5 star hotels, typically $110 to $140 usd.  There you can be pampered, use the pools and generally relax.  Depending on the time of the day city traffic is impossible.  8.30 to 11.30am  and 3.30 to 8.30pm the city is a practical parking lot.  

Indira Nagar, 80 feet road has lots of shops. MG Road and Brigade Rd are also places where lots of people walk and visit shops.  Generally ok during the day, but always a good idea to be safety conscious.  India is NOT safe for single woman tourists.  Good luck.

1. Indira Nagar (neighborhood)
  2. MG Road (attraction)
  3. Brigade Rd (attraction)

Karteek from Vijayawada, India

You should find yourself a hotel in the MG Road which is the heart of all things Bangalore. You could spend your day trying to absorb in the local culture and use your time to pick up some memorabilia. A good idea would be to visit the National Gallery of Modern Art and spend some time there. You can generally walk down the MG Road and you would find a lot of shops which sell locally made handicrafts (eg. Cauvery Emporium) and Indian silk garments (like Mysore Silk at Mayo Hall on the same road). Towards the evening you can easily find a pub (among the many on Brigade Rd) to have a drink before you retire for the day

1. MG Road (attraction)
  2. National Gallery of Modern Art (attraction)
  3. Cauvery Emporium (attraction)
  4. Mayo Hall (attraction)
  5. Brigade Rd (attraction)