Beatrice
Montreal

Banff, Whistler, British Columbia, Alberta

Banff or Whistler for summer job?

Next spring or summer, i'm taking a year off and I would like to work for a couple of months in British Columbia or in Banff. I'm 22, from Quebec (Canada), I wanna meet people with who I could go hiking, or travel to other places, etc. So here are my questions:

- Is it easier to find a job in Banff or in Whistler? Are there accommodations  for working people (for example, to live with other foreigners workers)

- Is there enough things to do in Banff? My struggle is that i'd rather go to Banff than Whistler, but I feel like in Whistler you can see and visit a lot of places because there's a lot to do in BC, but it doesn't seem that way in Alberta...

- What place is the cheapest? 

Mike from Canada

I worked at the The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise in Banff National Park many years ago for a summer and loved it. Great hiking and wilderness areas at your doorstep. Banff is about a 30 minute drive away. Sorry I can't speak to current logistics, but at the time they provided accommodation for all their employees. I look back now on my short time with many fond memories.

1. The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise (hotel)
  2. Banff National Park (park)

Cherry

You'd find a job no problem in either place, it's accommodation that's trickier - particularly in Whistler! I hear summer isn't as bad though, but worth considering that aspect as well. In terms of hiking and meeting people, I'm biased as I moved to Vancouver, but BC is the best! My job takes me up to Banffregularly and it is simply beautiful, but that bit more remote, so I'd say you'd probably end up sticking with the Banff community and just really enjoying a smaller life in Banff and the surrounding area. In Whistler though you have access to so many hikes, trails, mountains, the ocean, Howe Sound(stunning camping!), lakes, and of course the city life of Vancouver isn't too far away either. Whistler is a total magnet for young working holiday types as well so you'd not be short of social opportunities. Ultimately trust your gut and you can't go wrong - both places are amazing, I'm just biased towards Whistler and BC because I've loved it here so much!

1. Whistler (city)
  2. Vancouver (city)
  3. Banff (city)
  4. Howe Sound (attraction)