Mallory

Banff, Denver, Wyoming, Montana, Lake Louise, Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park, Big Sky, Bozeman, Calgary, Casper, Laramie, Cheyenne, Helena

Roadtrip from Denver to Banff - best sights to see?

We're flying into Denver and renting a car to roadtrip up through Wyoming and Montana to end in Banff/Lake Louise. What are the best sights along the way? We plan on stopping at the obvious sights (Yellowstone, Glacier Nat'l, Big Sky, Bozeman) but we want to see as much as we can in the most efficient manner possible. Is it worth going to see Calgary before going to Banff? Should we fly back home to Texas out of Banff area or Calgary? Is it worth stopping to see Casper, Laramie, Cheyenne, Helena, etc.? Any and all tips welcomed! Thanks! :)

Michelle from Oregon
We did a similar road trip in reverse, though we started in Portland, went up to Banff, and then down to Colorado (see the itinerary here: https://intentionaltravelers.com/one-month-on-the-road-our-rockies-road-trip-itinerary/). Personally, I would prioritize the National Parks above everything else. Don't miss Yellowstone and Glacier. Here are our Glacier N.P. tips: https://intentionaltravelers.com/exploring-glacier-national-park/
You will likely find better flights out of Calgary since it's a bigger airport, though it doesn't hurt to check both.

The only suggestion I have is that driving from Denver to Banff National Park, I would go through Jackson Hole to Grand Teton National Park which links up with Yellowstone National Park.  You don't say when you will be doing this, but some roads may be closed in the winter.  If you want to stay in the parks, you probably need to make the reservations as far in advance as possible. 
It has been many years since I was in Laramie or Cheyenne, and I don't know what those places are like now, and I don't know anything about which places would be good to fly from.

1. Denver (city)
  2. Banff National Park (park)
  3. Jackson Hole (city)
  4. Grand Teton National Park (park)
  5. Yellowstone National Park (park)