JJ

Banff National Park

2 Days in Banff

Traveling to Banff in July for 2 days (high season I understand). What are top 4-5 view points I must visit?

Thanks very much!

Rasto from Edmonton

Two days is a short time for Banff NP, but you can see a lot if you get well organized. Assuming you will start in Banff you can do Tunnel Mountain Trail Route hike which if you get a good weather will reward you with gorgeous view on Banff and entire valley. It's an easy hike right outside the city which shouldn't take you more than 2h round trip. From there you can go to Johnston Canyon, Lower Falls which is quite popular and can be crowded, but it is very scenic and easy to walk. In the evening you can visit Banff Upper Hot Springs to soak your tired body. Next day, you can visit Lake Louise and Moraine Lake which are again very scenic, but especially Lake Louise can be very crowded with tourists and parking can be a problem. Try to get there early in the morning to beat the crowd and move from there to Moraine Lake. From there I would still recommend to go and see Peyto Lake (on the picture). In this case you will see entire lake enclosed by mountains from above. Viewing platform is just few hundred meters from parking lot. If you have enough time, you can still take Lake Louise gondola before you go to Peyto Lake.

Here are some of my galleries with pictures from Banff I was visiting last time in June and October last year. Just giving you an idea about other possibilities.

Hiking Cirque Lake & Chephren Lake Trails

Hiking Bow Falls Trail

Tunnel Mt. Hike • The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel • Moraine Lake • Peyto Lake

Have a great trip!

1. Tunnel Mountain Trail Route (attraction)
  2. Johnston Canyon, Lower Falls (attraction)
  3. Banff Upper Hot Springs (attraction)
  4. Lake Louise (city)
  5. Moraine Lake (attraction)
  6. Peyto Lake (attraction)