April
Pembroke (North Carolina)

Baltimore

Best place to get seafood and crab cakes in Baltimore?

This is my first trip to Baltimore and I would love to try the famous seafood and especially the famous crab cakes. Anyone know any great places?

Nick from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

I would have suggested  Obrycki's Restaurant & Bar as the place for crabs, crab cakes, etc., but it has closed and now only has airport locations (big bummer and not the same).  I agree with Sherrie and would check out Fells Point -- maybe  Captain James Landing - Restaurant and Crab House.

1. Obrycki's Restaurant & Bar (restaurant)
  2. Captain James Landing - Restaurant and Crab House (restaurant)

Sherrie from Harrisburg

I prefer the Fells Point area for my crabcakes...not as corporate as some other places.  John Steven's Tavern is good as well as Bertha's

1. Fells Point (attraction)
  2. John Steven's Tavern (attraction)
  3. Bertha's (restaurant)

Geoff from Baltimore

There are actually many places in and around Baltimore to get great crab cakes.   Faidley's Seafood & Fresh Fish Market in Lexington Market always gets high marks.  The area around Lexington Market is a bit sketchy, but don't like that deter you! My favorite crab cakes are actually outside of Baltimore by about 30 minutes at a little place in a shopping plaza called Box Hill Pizzeria.  Some people will point you to Phillips Seafood for great seafood, and that is good if you like the restaurant chain experience.  Otherwise I would venture to Nicks seafood in Cross Street Market or Thames Street Oyster Housein Fells Point  

1. Lexington Market (attraction)
  2. Box Hill Pizzeria (restaurant)
  3. Phillips Seafood (restaurant)
  4. Cross Street Market (attraction)
  5. Thames Street Oyster House (restaurant)
  6. Fells Point (attraction)
  7. Faidley's Seafood & Fresh Fish Market (restaurant)

Larry from Baltimore

Do not go the Inner Harbor and Phillips Seafood.  No locals go there only tourist.  Head over to Fells Point and the Canton area.   If you are in the Inner Harbor area at Harbor East go to  Mo's Seafood.

1. Fells Point (attraction)
  2. Canton (attraction)
  3. Mo's Seafood (restaurant)

Jan from Baltimore

The best crab cakes I know are at Pappas Restaurant, which is not downtown, so you would have to drive a little if you're staying near the harbor.  The crab cakes at The Prime Rib are wonderful, but that's a $$$ restaurant.  People will tell you to go to Phillips Seafood, but that's for the tourists, i.e. overrated and a bit overpriced for what you get.

1. Phillips Seafood (restaurant)
  2. Pappas Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. The Prime Rib (attraction)

Colleen

Honestly every time I go home (I moved to Chicago a year ago,) I get G&M Restaurant and Lounge crab cakes. Best I've ever had and I spent 22 years in Maryland!

1. G&M Restaurant and Lounge (restaurant)

Erin from Beltsville, Maryland

Just outside of Baltimore is a place called Timbuktu Restaurant and Lounge. Excellent crab cakes!!

1. Timbuktu Restaurant and Lounge (restaurant)

Martha from Laurel

Try G&M Restaurant and Lounge, Hellas Restaurant and Lounge or The Narrows Restaurant for a good crab cake. You really should try "picking crabs" at Costas Inn or Jimmy Cantler's Riverside Inn. Order the biggest size they have available instead of all you can eat. Four jumbo crabs and some crab dip or steamed shrimp with Old Bay will fill you up. Your server will show you what to do and what parts of the crab you should not eat. Better than lobster!

2. Hellas Restaurant and Lounge (restaurant)
  3. The Narrows Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Costas Inn (restaurant)
  5. Jimmy Cantler's Riverside Inn (restaurant)

Corey from Pittsburgh

Most people I ask around here say  Canton Dockside (http://www.cantondockside.com/) for crabs (I don't eat them myself).  The best crab cakes I've found are at a hole in the wall restaurant right outside the city called The Corner Stable (http://www.cornerstable.com/department/catering-10003.cfm - Cockeysville location).

1. Canton Dockside (restaurant)
  2. The Corner Stable (restaurant)

Jason

Bluestone Restaurant is great but a bit pricey.  Around 30 for 2 5oz crab cakes.  Its an upscale spot. 

1. Bluestone Restaurant (restaurant)

Shannon from Albuquerque

Best crabcakes are at Koco's Pub.  That's a little off the beaten path.  For seafood of all kinds (including whole blue crabs year-round) hit up L.P. Steamers.

1. Koco's Pub (restaurant)
  2. L.P. Steamers (restaurant)

Ben from Germantown

The best crab cake in Baltimore is at Faidley's Seafood & Fresh Fish Market. Not to be missed. And a short walk to Alewife Baltimore, my personal favorite gastropub. You must try the duck fat rosemary fries, and the tap list is extensive.

1. Faidley's Seafood & Fresh Fish Market (restaurant)
  2. Alewife Baltimore (restaurant)

David from Baltimore

G&M Restaurant by BWI has the best crab cakes! But going in the same vein of everyone else, avoid the Inner Harbor (i.e McCormick & Schmick's & Phillip's Seafood) at all costs. The food is decent but way overpriced and has no local feel to it. Best sushi is RA Sushi in Harbor East. Best Mexican is Nacho Mama's in Canton Square (although No Way Jose Cafe is very good and much cheaper if you find yourself in Fed Hill). Best Thai food is thai elephant wok which is closest to Fells Point. But my favorite Baltimore restaurant is The Abbey Burger Bistro in Fed Hill. It's my go to anytime I have friends or family visiting in town!

1. G&M (restaurant)
  2. RA Sushi (restaurant)
  3. Nacho Mama's (restaurant)
  4. No Way Jose Cafe (restaurant)
  5. thai elephant wok (restaurant)
  6. The Abbey Burger Bistro (restaurant)

Linda from Maryland

Obrycki's Crab House http://www.obryckis.com/

1. Obrycki's Crab House (restaurant)