Tamara
Providence

Baltimore

Authentic, non-chain restaurant for dinner with a child (with a well-refined palate) near the Inner Harbor?

Staying at the Hilton near Camden Yards with my daughter and want someplace walkable (safe) or easy to find a cab to/from for dinner that is NOT a chain restaurant.  Last year cabbed to Pierpoint Restaurant but had a hard time getting a cab back.

Annemarie from New York City

I am in love with Sotto Sopra, a short walk up from the harbor. It's old school Italian food and a little dark for families, but if you go earlier in the day you should avoid the smooching couples. The food is fantastic, but served very low-key and it's a total neighborhood establishment; they know everyone that comes in.

1. Sotto Sopra (restaurant)

My daughter and I love Chiapparelli's Restaurant in the Italian district near the harbor. The food is absolutely amazing and you will get stuffed.

237 South High Street; Baltimore

http://chiapparellis.com/

Near the Model Performing Arts Center, there's a Mexican place that we love called Mari Luna Bistro. I go there with all four of my daughters (ages 9-18) and they all love the food.

1225 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
410.637.8013

http://www.mariluna.com/

1. Chiapparelli's Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Mari Luna Bistro (restaurant)

Martin from Baltimore

Inner Harbor is a bit of a dead zone. Mount Vernon/Midtown is a quick walk that includes Stang of Siam (Thai), The Helmand (Afghan),  Iggie's (pizza), and The Brewer's Art (pub).  All are great choices.

1. Stang of Siam (attraction)
  2. The Helmand (attraction)
  3. Iggie's (restaurant)
  4. The Brewer's Art (attraction)

Carol

Tio Pepe Restaurante

(410) 539-4675

Tio Pepe's is a authentic spanish style resturant. Great for families and great for couples. We eat here every year for our anniversary and have taken our 4 children on numerous occassions. This place has yet to disappoint. Food is excellent with quite a variety. The staff is nice and attentive. The ambiance is lovely. This is a more than a couple of blocks to walk from camden yards, but it is a straight shot for a short cab ride. It is on the same side of the harbor as the stadiums. 

My favorite dish to get when I go is the Paella a la Valenciana it is enough for 2 and it has lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, veal, chorizo, and chicken. Yum. For dessert, which entralled my kids when they we younger was, the Baked Alaska. 

http://www.tiopepebaltimore.com/index.htm

1. Tio Pepe Restaurante (restaurant)

Margot from Baltimore, Maryland

Try Chazz: A Bronx Original in Harbor East -- easy cab ride. Great pizzas, pasta.

1. Chazz: A Bronx Original (restaurant)

David from Baltimore

Walk over to The Abbey Burger Bistro in Fed Hill. You and your daughter won't be disappointed! All safe to traverse through as well, even at night.

1. The Abbey Burger Bistro (restaurant)

Larry from Baltimore

There are so many chains in the Inner Harbor and most are not very good.  I would take the water taxi from the Inner Harbor and head over to Fells Point.  You daughter will enjoy the water ride and there are many local places to eat.

1. Inner Harbor (attraction)
  2. Fells Point (attraction)

Mo from Houston

Puerto 511 for Peruvian in a quaint, homely setting.

1. Puerto 511 (restaurant)