Stephanie

Baltimore

Are there cool/fun things to do in Baltimore?

I'm going to Baltimore for a weekend for work and haven't heard the best things about the area. Are there interesting things to do? Any fun activities? Would love to hear of some options of things I can do over the weekend! 

Absolutely!

The Inner Harbor  is beautiful, clean, photogenic, and a great place to walk. You can tour the Historic Ships in Baltimore which include a submarine and the USS Constellation. It's incredibly interesting.  The Maryland Science Center often has really fascinating exhibits, so though I wouldn't normally go there without children (it's mainly a hands-on children's museum), it's worth checking out any special exhibits. They had a mummy one a while back that was amazing. Check out the harbor tours as well. You can catch boats there and get out on the water.

Near the Inner Harbor (walkable) is Little Italy. Go there for lunch. Isabel's Pizza is my favorite pizza place there. It's fast, always packed, but so absolutely delicious and authentic. You can order one to go and walk to a nearby park (or the harbor) and eat there.  If you want a classier sit down dinner, go to Chiapparelli's Restaurant.  Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop is decent for coffee and a cannoli, but I'd avoid that - it's incredibly overpriced.

Catch a baseball game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. It's a cool area too. The Lexington Market is one of the oldest markets there. It's interesting. You can get oysters there and muscrat even, seasonally. Check their hours though - it does close in the early evening.

Go to Fort McHenry. It's IN Baltimore on the edge of the harbor, an easy drive/taxi from the Inner Harbor. Talk about serious history. That might be the perfect spot to enjoy your Isabel's Pizza. :)

See if there are any good shows at the Modell Performing Arts Center at the Lyric. That's in a pretty area as well with good restaurants nearby.

Do ask locals, be aware, and stick with more "touristy," well-known areas as the wrong district can be more dangerous, but Baltimore is a beautiful city with a lot of culture, art, and history. Enjoy it.

1. Inner Harbor (attraction)
  2. Historic Ships in Baltimore (attraction)
  3. Maryland Science Center (attraction)
  4. Little Italy (neighborhood)
  5. Isabel's Pizza (restaurant)
  6. Chiapparelli's Restaurant (restaurant)
  7. Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop (restaurant)
  8. Oriole Park at Camden Yards (attraction)
  9. Lexington Market (attraction)
  10. Fort McHenry (neighborhood)
  11. Modell Performing Arts Center at the Lyric (attraction)

David from Baltimore

Not sure if you've gone on your trip, or if you're making a return one... but I definitely encourage you to explore the Inner Harbor - Federal Hill Park(Federal Hill neighborhood) is a great place to walk around and mingle with the locals (this is where I live, so I'm particularly partial to it), and Fells Point is a great historical place to go, with great cobblestones streets. The best food and drinks are in Canton... Try Mama's on the Half Shell for some great oysters and a Natty Boh, the local brew. One of the best parts of Baltimore is the walk-ability of everything - you can get everywhere on foot and within the same day. However, if it's nice out, I agree with the other answers - take the water taxi. The fun is in the journey!

If you feel like getting out of the city, there's plenty to do as well, especially if you like the outdoors or hikes. All of the following you would need to rent a car for, however... Patapsco Valley State Park is one of my go-to hikes, with well-groomed trails and really good views.I'd also find a way to spend some time along the streets of downtown Annapolis, which has some nice local shops and bars. And many people don't realize that Gettysburg is only an hour drive away from the city too. That's a must-see if you've never been there.

1. Federal Hill Park (neighborhood)
  2. Fells Point (attraction)
  3. Canton (attraction)
  4. Patapsco Valley State Park (attraction)
  5. Annapolis (city)
  6. Gettysburg (city)

Polly from Washington, DC

Tiffany's answer is great. I'd add the National Aquarium in Baltimore for something fun to see and Fells Point for shopping and seafood during the day, or for a night out. Also, you can take a water taxi to get from the Inner Harbor to Fells Point or Fort McHenry - you can buy a daypass for $14 and it's a nice way to see the city from the water.

1. National Aquarium in Baltimore (attraction)
  2. Fells Point (attraction)