Gonçalo
Lisbon

Gonçalo from Lisbon asked

Bali vs Philippines, whats the best place to live/work?

I want to move to one of these countries soon, but not sure wich one is the best to live and work.

I'm looking for a cheap place, with good entrepreneur environment, decent internet connection, some waves and a nice life style.

What would you advice?

Bali   Philippines

Brianna from Brooklyn

I think this depends on what you are looking to do. I think Bali is an incredible place however the volume of Western travelers has diluted the culture in some ways. The Philippines is a delightful place however living and working somewhere is very different than traveling for a month. 

1. Bali (island)
  2. Philippines (attraction)
Brad from Ubud

Hey Goncalo, I can't speak for Philippines, but my fiancee and I moved to Bali about 5 months ago and we love it here.

Judging by your criteria, I think you may like Ubud or Canggu as places to settle in Bali.

There are quite a lot of entrepreneurs in Ubud due to the presence of Hubud, the co-working space that attracts digital nomads from around the world. They host regular skill-sharing workshops and networking events and there is a decent sized community of people involved in or considering startups. And the co-working space has faster broadband compared to regular internet on the island which can be temperamental.

Canggu, is very popular with expats - it's beautiful and still has rice-fields, not as busy as Seminyak or Kuta, and it is still close to the beach.

Both Ubud and Canggu offer great lifestyles, though I would say Ubud is cheaper, particularly in housing.

Gonçalo
Thank you so much for your answer. A lot of good information and I'm searching deeper n the places you recommended. What's more or less the monthly fixed cost of living for a couple there? All the best, G.

1. Ubud (city)
  2. Canggu (attraction)
  3. Hubud (attraction)
  4. Canggu (attraction)
  5. Seminyak (city)
  6. Kuta (neighborhood)

Philippines is tricky when it comes to good internet connection. It's very on and off out there to be honest.

It's a nice and diverse country to travel though with thousands of islands and beahces, as well as volcanoes and high mountains and it's cheap to live there.

I was in Bali recently during a cycling trip around Indonesia and it's an extremely pretty isladn which is cheap too.

I have not been there long enough to have a qualified opinion about internet connections, but I had no big siddues with internet connections the week that I spend there.

1. Philippines (attraction)
  2. Bali (island)