Raymond
Kampala

Bali

Two week itinerary for Bali island

Hey guys,

I am seeking advice for a two week itinerary for Bali island. My lover and I are meeting there for a two week vacation and would love to unplug, relax and also get active in the natural outdoors. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Cheers.

R

Chiara from San Francisco

Hi Raymond,

Kuta is the touristy part of the island, but Sanur is less crowded. Our apartment was perfect: private, with swimming pool immersed in the green. The beach in front of the Hyatt (10 min walk) is quiet (the hotel is in the construction phase and will open in 2018). You can rent umbrella and chair for IDR 100,000 (around $7) for a day. Food and drinks at the cafe are good and cheap. In Bali, a good meal for two people should be around IDR 150,000. If you pay more it’s probably a touristy spot or they are ripping you off.

Bali is not about the beaches. Bali is about the temples. You should see as many as you can. The island’s spiritual inspiration is the reason why you should go to Bali.

The Mother Temple is majestic. It’s located on top of a hill. You have to get a ticket and a guide is mandatory to enter all areas. The reason for the location is to ensure protection from natural forces. It's built on seven levels and has many shrines dedicated to a specific Hindu Lord.

Pura Tirta Empul is a temple dedicated to purification. You can take a bathe in the sacred water (the sarong is mandatory to immerse yourself). Locals pray for their families and ancestors and they leave offerings.

Gunung Kawi is immersed in the jungle and rice patties. For some reason, it’s less famous than other temples on the island. We were amazed looking around.

You can visit the three mentioned temples in a day hiring a driver for 8 hours, starting from Kuta/Sanur.

Pura Ulun Darun Beletan is the famous pagoda on the water that you can also spot on the RP banknote 50,000. Its unique location gives it the special appeal. It’s probably the most photographed temple in Bali.

Pura Taman Ayun is the royal family temple. You can take a tour around the temple but you can’t get in the complex. It’s a square shape placed in the middle of gardens and there are shrines and pagodas inside. The walls are not tall so you can take the photos of the structures from the outside.

Lempuyang is made of five temples. The view of the mountain from the Heaven’s gate (divided door on the top of the hill) is hands down, the most scenic view of the island.

You can visit the three temples in a day hiring a driver for 8 hours, starting from Ubud. Lempuyang is quite far from Ubud (2 hours). If you have time to stay for a couple of days in different places, Amed is the best starting point.

Ubud is very touristy, stay in the rice fields area. It's quiet and the scenery is stunning!

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. Sanur (attraction)
  2. Ubud (attraction)

Uriel from Saint-Jean-de-Luz

Hi Raymond! 

I have lived in between Singapore and Bali for the last 4 years and hope I can give you some good tips to prepare your trip here.

In my opinion, the best place to hang out as a couple would be around Ubud and its beautiful nature, friendly people, lots of amazing restaurants and romantic tables. I would avoid the hustle and bustle from the south, but would recommend spending few days in the South Peninsula as most beautiful beaches are here - a quiet area to stay for couples would be Nusa Dua.

Also here is an article, I would recommend, this is a 5-Day Itinerary but you can pick some good ideas to include in your trip :)

http://blog.eoasia.com/5-days-bali-itinerary/

Hope you will have an amazing experience on the island of the Gods :)

Uriel

Zach from Quakertown

If you like to stay active and healthy when you travel which it seems like you do then The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreat has to be on your list. And the Bali Bike Park, Jalan Sugriwa Dasong Pancasari, Sukasada, Bali, Indonesia does pretty awesome tours around if you are into biking.