Marissa
Oakland

Bali

Places to stay and advice for a woman traveling alone!

Hello people!

I'm planning a solo adventure to Bali this July.  I'm unfamiliar with the island and I have no clue what to expect.

- Where can one stay?  I really love the water and anything moderately indulgent (think beaches and cocktails).

- how does a person get around (taxi? Walk? shuttle?)

- what "dangers" (if any) do I need to be aware of?

Thanks, friends!

Alvian from Jakarta

Hello there Marissa,

Bali can offer you a lot of choices. I assumed you don't want to crazy nightlife and packed tourist area, so the best way is to head to Canggu Beach or Seminyak area. Both are beach side area, you can find a lot of budget hotels or luxurious resort depend on what your preferences. Those area also have decent beach bars and clubs La Favela, Potato Head Beach Club Bali KohKuta Beach is a lil bit too packed for me. If you want to go partying hard try bars and club in Legian.

I recommend you to rent a scooter bike, 50-100k IDR for a day, you can get better price if you rent the bike longer (ask the hotel you stay for the info), bring your phone (get a local mobile phone SIM card, ask for a internet data package), use your google maps to help you navigate, and get lost! Uber and Gojek (local online taxi for car and motorcycle) are usable in Bali, both can be handy if you need to travel in a further distance.

Be careful for taxis in Bali (all of them are blue colored), most of them don't use a taxi meter so you have to ask the driver the price or you will get ripped. One taxi that use meter is Blue Bird (yes it is blue as well).

As for dangers, use an authorized money changer in Bali (google them and you will find a lot) try to avoid a sketchy small stalls, I got scammed once :))

If you need more info you can always ask me :)

1. Canggu Beach (attraction)
  2. Seminyak (attraction)
  3. La Favela (restaurant)
  4. Potato Head Beach Club Bali (attraction)
  5. Koh (attraction)
  6. Kuta Beach (attraction)
  7. Legian (attraction)

My advice for you would be to NOT visit Kuta Beach. It is absolutely awful and tourism at it's worst. Good news is that most other parts of the island are very nice. Lovina Beach is a good choice if you ask me. 

1. Kuta Beach (attraction)
  2. Lovina Beach (hotel)