Dustin

Bali, Ubud

Looking for 2 nice reasonably priced hotels in Bali: 1) beach, 2)Ubud

Hey Trippy, I am looking to go to Bali on the first stop of my honeymoon and stay for about 1 week.  I have heard we have to do both the beach and up in the mountains in Ubud.  

1) We want to start at hotel on the beach. Somewhere with a nice beach (can sit on beach and read or swim in the ocean, snorkel) and not too crowded with tourists.

2) We want to stay up in Ubud and get some mountain time.  A relaxing hotel that is well situated to see what Ubud is all about, but also get some quiet time.

For both we are looking for a nice, clean, safe hotel and hoping to get a reasonable price (traveling in late September). Based on research, hopefully paying $100-$150/night, would go a little higher for the right place (and happy to pay less if the hotel is recommended).

Thanks in advance!

Tony from Seattle

Bali is awesome-- one of our favorite spots in 10 months of non-stop travel.

$100-150 a night goes a long way on Bali.

For a beach, my first advice would be "get the heck out of Kuta/Denpasar".  The core/touristy area of Bali is the worst part, IMO.  I'd head to Pemuteran (which offers some of the best snorkeling I've ever done at Menjangan Island).  5ish hours by car from the airport.

The only semi-fancy option there is Matahari Beach Resort & Spa Pemuteran.  We stayed at the Doubleyou Homestay-- we had a villa of our own, private breakfast on our veranda, and a large/lovely room for $40 a night, I think.

or Amed (a string of villages in the northeast).  In Amed, I'd stay near Jemeluk Beach, which features the best snorkeling.  If you get non-rough seas, there are a few wrecks in the area that are snorkelable, which is pretty cool as most wrecks require scuba gear.  Your mostly limited to "homestays" here, which really aren't that-- they are little homemade inns of varying quality.  Rumah Adi is probably your nicest bet.

If you want to get off the beaten track a bit, you could hop a bot to Nusa Lembongan, which is a great Island that's fun to motor bike around on.  Naturale Villas would be a good bet.

In Ubud, I'd say the Junjungan Ubud Hotel and Spa is really great for that price range or the Puri Sunia Resort (which is a little farther out).  The Tri Sandhya Villa is nice too.

All of this is on the adventurous side compared to a pure-resort vacation, but if you're going to fly 20 hours, you should get out of your comfort zone a touch.  Every place we went stayed was safe and super friendly (if occasionally a touch less manicured than the resorts we've stayed at!).

We wrote three posts about our on month on Bali with a fair bit of detail.  Might be worth a read!

1. Pemuteran (attraction)
  2. Menjangan Island (island)
  3. Matahari Beach Resort & Spa Pemuteran (attraction)
  4. Doubleyou Homestay (hotel)
  5. Jemeluk Beach (attraction)
  6. Rumah Adi (hotel)
  7. Nusa Lembongan (island)
  8. Naturale Villas (hotel)
  9. Ubud (city)
  10. Junjungan Ubud Hotel and Spa (hotel)
  11. Puri Sunia Resort (hotel)
  12. Tri Sandhya Villa (attraction)

jon from Palo Alto

Bambu Indah in Ubud is epic. Natural pool, insane food, reasonable prices beautiful rooms. The fabled Inn where Liz Gilbert stayed when she wrote Eat Pray Love.

1. Bambu Indah (hotel)
  2. Ubud (city)

Michel from Taipei

Hi Dustin

Here are a couple of suggestions (one traditional, one modern) for each of the destinations you've chosen with the links to the respective websites.

Your can also check these hotels out on booking.com.

However, in some cases you can get special honeymoon packages by going directly to the hotel website.

I've stayed in all four of them and they are definitely great places. 

Beach (Sanur)

La Taverna Hotel

Traditional balinese atmosphere, decorated with balinese furniture

The Oasis Benoa

Contemporary style hotel great location. They have a couple of suites with ocean view and private pool.

Ubud

Hotel Tjampuhan

A former royal residence where European painters lived in the late 1920's. Traditional Balinese atmosphere. Great location with the spa overlooking the rainforest and the river below.

Pertiwi Resort And Spa Bali

Contemporary style hotel with an infinity pool. Located in the center of Ubud near the Monkey Forest.

I'm sure you'll spend a memorable honeymoon in Bali.

M.

1. La Taverna Hotel (hotel)
  2. The Oasis Benoa (hotel)
  3. Hotel Tjampuhan (hotel)
  4. Pertiwi Resort And Spa Bali (hotel)

Roberta from Los Angeles

About a decade ago I stayed in Alam Jiwa Hotel Bali, a sister inn to Alam Indah Hotel, in the Garuda room.  It was beautiful, relaxing, and reasonably priced.  Looks to be within your price range as well.

1. Alam Jiwa Hotel Bali (hotel)
  2. Alam Indah Hotel (hotel)

Angel from Pasadena

You have a large budget for Bali so getting accommodation will be no problem. Stay in Seminyak just north of Kuta. Lots of new boutique hotels popping up there. If you are willing to walk a couple of blocks to the beach (or ride your scooter) then the cheaper the place. In Ubud stay at the Ubud Inn on Monkey Forest road. Super central. Great people.

1. Seminyak (city)
  2. Ubud (city)
  3. Ubud Inn (hotel)

Gede from Bali

Hi Dustin,

So... Honeymoon?? For me honeymoon is not always about the luxury, but have a quality time together with our love couple more then everything.. My suggestion :

1. Impossible Beach there is Impossible Beach House that has a Honeymoon Suite budget range $125 - $150, it is on the beach, you can sit, read, swim or even snorkel, for sure not so crowded.

2. I prefer Abing Terrace in Ubud, rice surrounded by sacred temple, rice terrace and green forest. Budget range $100 - $150.

Be sure to book first before your honeymoon, better to contact bali travel agent maybe you can get less.

Thanks

1. Impossible Beach (attraction)
  2. Impossible Beach House (hotel)
  3. Abing Terrace (hotel)
  4. Ubud (city)

Tina from Roeselare

In Ubud you should certainly go with the bike from the volcano down, passing the rice fields! that was really great to do, you see a lot, and not too difficult because it is going down all the time… Can't help with hotels because I stayed with my brother. Enjoy!

1. Ubud (city)

Erin

Hey Dustin

I cant help you with the beach part but I stayed at Bumi ubud resorts last week for $60 AUD per night and it was absolutely fabulous! Its a little way outside Ubud but they have a van available (I went on the back of one of the worker's scooters - much more fun!). The  other thing to consider is that it is fairly quiet, with only 1 or 2 other guests, which is fine if that's what you are looking for. Included breakfast was great and the staff (Made and Mr Agung) were very friendly.

Cheers

Erin

1. Bumi ubud resorts (attraction)