Antica
Zagreb

Bali, Jakarta

Is Jakarta worth the visit from Bali?

I am planning a trip to Bali. I'd also like to visit Jakarta.

How can I do that and what exactly to visit in 10 days? Should I stay with Bali only?

Sally from Los Angeles

Hi Antica,

I spent a summer working in Jakarta, and to be honest, unless you particularly enjoy shopping (in which case they have giant malls like Plaza IndonesiaGrand Indonesia etc), then I wouldn't recommend going to Jakarta.

If you want to visit the island of Java, I recommend trips to to Bandung (foodie and cultural town), Bogor (outdoor gardens / activities and Taman Safari Indonesia) or Yogyakarta (amazing and beautiful rice paddies and temples like Borobudur Temple) instead.

There is a fair amount to see in Bali, and you can always island-hop to Gilli if you'd like to do more exploring.  

1. Jakarta (city)
  2. Plaza Indonesia (attraction)
  3. Grand Indonesia (attraction)
  4. Bandung (city)
  5. Bogor (city)
  6. Taman Safari Indonesia (attraction)
  7. Yogyakarta (city)
  8. Borobudur Temple (attraction)
  9. Bali (island)

Wayne from Brisbane

Depends on what you want to experience in Jakarta?  I have being there a few times and have different experiences each time I have being there.  If you are a foodie then there are some very good restaurants to try or even in some cases better street foods to try.  If you want to party then Jakarta has one of the best night life's scenes any where in Asia.   Or you could try travel to one of the resorts like Pantara Island around the group of islands the locals refer to as Thousand Islands.  Which is popular with the locals and quite close to Jakarta.

1. Jakarta (city)
  2. Pantara Island (hotel)

Jae from Singapore

The answer for most will probably be no, unless you like being in a huge city setting. If you do end up going there, I would recommend getting travel insurance if you plan on checking in bags (flying in and out of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, as it was the only time in hundreds of airports, that my luggage managed to be misplaced.

1. Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (attraction)

Xander

I would advice that you stay in Bali since it's a very nice island not only to relax but also to explore around. The south side of Bali is famous for it's beautiful cliff side and a popular place for surfers. The Seminyak BeachSeminyak area is very commercial and is more famous for it's nightclubs and shopping area. Avoid the crowd and try to rent a scooter or a small car with you can use to explore the island. Place of recommendation are Ubud, with it's temples, Tanah Lot and try to visit some local villages. The north part is the sleepy part of the island and a good place to visit to see the dolfins at sea. Sanur beach is at the east side of the island and not to far from the noise and crowd around Denpasar. Pamper yourself there and enjoy the hospitality of Bali.

1. Bali (island)
  2. Seminyak Beach (attraction)

Centa from Jakarta

In my opinion you better enjoy your time in Bali because right now in Jakarta the weather is so bad you will end up sitting in hotel all day.

1. Bali (island)
  2. Jakarta (city)

Gerald from Hobart

I would second the opinion given to go to Bandung instead of Jakarta.
Two reasons - it is a university city so has a great vibe and music scene, and secondly it has a large number of Dutch Period buildings intact so visually it is quite different to Bali. It is inland and high up which also means it is cool(er); the days in Bali could go very fast for you - particularly if you want to explore more of the island than just the beaches ... and there is lots to explore inland. But Bandung would provide an alternative experience which, if tourists piss you off, this city will get you out of that with quite a contrast to what you may have experienced. If you DO have more time than 10 days, then you can take a train from Bandung to Yogya and visit Borobudur Temple. There is just so much more to Indonesia than Bali.
(Trying to say that gently).

1. Borobudur Temple (attraction)