• Zach Weisman
  • "How does Boracay compare to Thailand and Bali?"

Zach Weisman

West Bloomfield Township, Michigan

How does Boracay compare to Thailand and Bali?

I've recently had two awesome trips.  The first was in Thailand where we visited Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Railay with a quick trip to Siem Reap and Ankor Wat.  We loved the Thai islands with the beautiful beaches and giant hongs sticking out of the water.  The second trip was to Bali where we visited Seminyak, Uluwatu and Ubud.  We loved all of these places for their culture and beauty.  We were NOT backpackers.  We stayed at reasonable hotels and some Starwoods hotels.  (Avg Price $80-$200 per night).

WHERE CAN WE GO NEXT?

Now we are looking for a new place to visit that offers beautiful beaches, culture as well as some other types of nature.  We don't want it to cost a fortune, but we also don't want it to feel like it is just for backpackers.  We want to stay in comfortable places.  We are considering Sri Lanka, Philippines, Burma, Vietnam but can't decide between these.  Also would consider Palau, Fiji (been before), or possibly somewhere in South America (never been).

Also we are going to be travelling in December / January so we want the weather to be nice.

Please share some ideas and offer insights if you have been to some of the places we have been.

• Sabine van der Horst

Hi Zach,

I have been to all places you mentioned and I must say the Philippines were my definite favorite! Even though it is commercialized, it is still less crowded and touristy than Bali and Thailand. We were there around 5 years ago, so I don't know how it is now, but back then it was a lot less touristy than the other places you mention. And maybe the difference is also that in Boracay there are mostly of Asian tourists, maybe that is why it didn't feel to touristy :-). We went there in June though, so maybe it is different in December/January.

The Philippines has a lot more great places to offer! Coron Island and the island of Palawan, for example El Nido are BEAUTIFUL! You will feel like you are in a movie set. It is a bit like Koh Phi Phi, but then twice as breathtaking and 90% less tourists.

If you are divers or snorkelers you can also try the tiny island of Malapascua Island. We loved it and it is beautiful, but there is not much to do if you are not in to diving. There aren't even roads or anything, but I had the best meal EVER there in a tiny hut in the middle of the island.

What you could also consider as a destination is Borneo. We have been to the Malaysian part (Sabah). Especially Mabul Island, Kapalai Island and Sipadan. Most beautiful destination I have ever been to. Really quiet, never saw an ocean that blue. There are a few nice resorts at those places I mentioned. I know there are a lot more pretty resorts on little islets along the coast. Just google Borneo Resort and you will find them. This is different though than the places you have been before (a lot less busy), but it is amazing. You could also do a jungle trip and see Orang Utangs in the wild and if you are up for it climb the second highest mountain of South East Asia: Mount Kinabalu.

If you need any more recommendations, please let me know!

• Zach W.

Zach W.

Thanks so much that is very helpful! Do you have recommendations for Phillipines accomodations? Also, on Coron and Palawan is the entire vibe beach huts or are there parts with shopping and restaurants like Seminyak or something like that? · (0 likelikes)

• Zach W.

Zach W.

Also, does Borocay feel like Phuket? Very very built up and commercialized? We prefer the feeling of Railay where it is quieter and more authentic feeling. Also there are taller cliffs and hongs which we like. · (0 likelikes)

• Sabine v.

Sabine v.

Phuket is much more tacky, cheap neon bars, with a lot of drunken tourists looking for sex. In Boracay I didn't experience this at all. It can also be busy and crowded, but it feels more 'upscale' and more authentic if you know what I mean. I must say I don't know how much have been changed since 5 years ago when I was there. Back then we were living on a backpackers budget, so I can't really advise you on any good hotels. Coron and Palawan are kind of secluded and quiet and there aren't any shopping or restaurant areas like in Bali. It has more of a beach hut vibe, but then more upscale resort like. If you like tall cliffs and hongs, this is reeeaallyy the place to be! This entire area is just tall cliffs, private white sand beaches, little islets and clear blue sea. At Boracay most hotels, restaurants and bars are all on one part (the West) of the island. It is like one big strip. Here not many tall cliffs and stuff like that, but still very beautiful. But if you want the feeling of railay, just check if there are any nice resorts at the other sides of the island, so you have your peace and quiet, but can also walk to the more vibrant part easily. · (0 likelikes)

1. Coron Island (attraction)
    2. El Nido (city)
    3. Malapascua Island (island)
    4. Borneo (attraction)
    5. Mabul Island (attraction)
    6. Kapalai Island (attraction)
    7. Sipadan (island)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sabine a Thank You Note