Bali

Highlights of Bali?

I'm itching to go on my next international trip and Bali is going to be it since I found travel deals for later this year/early next year!  It'll be about two weeks and I'd like to divide time between Ubud and Candidasa as well as take time to explore other areas around there. 

I'm at the planning stage where I don't need to make an exact itinerary and I'm more looking for things that I really should see, do, eat while I'm there.  I'd love to swim, see lush greenery, have some animal experiences, and eat good food.  What have been your most memorable spots and experiences in Bali?  I'd love to check them out!

Jason from San Diego

Bali is amazing.

For shopping,  Bali Deli is the biggest market for imports (and some local produce and product). It's a great spot to know about, especially if you need something in particular.  

The Temple of Enthusiasm has thai inspired food and is also a bicycle, surf, motorycle shop and a great place to hang.

For food,  Bali Buddha Restaurant is a great cafe/health food store.   Cafe Zula is a delicious vegetarian restaurant including macrobiotic food and a health food store.

Sacred Monkey Forest Ubud Sanctuary is fun.  We went and had a great time letting the monkeys climb all over us as we fed them bananas.  Definitely a one of a kind experience.  Make sure to buy plenty of bananas!

For an amazing massage, go to Jari Menari Spa....highly highly recommended, Especially the singing bowl enhanced massage.

1. Bali Deli (attraction)
  2. Bali Buddha Restaurant (attraction)
  3. The Temple of Enthusiasm (attraction)
  4. Cafe Zula (restaurant)
  5. Jari Menari Spa (hotel)
  6. Sacred Monkey Forest Ubud Sanctuary (attraction)

Alejandro from Singapore

In Bali you should go to Potato Head Beach Club Bali the best beach club in town. Visit the Uluwatu temple (not showing right location on map) and see the fire dance; it is very touristy but worth it. Go to Echo Beach for a more relaxed/surfer vibe. Book a tour of the Green School to see their amazing facilities/curriculum.

If you will be there for a longer time I recommend doing a 2 day trip to the Gili Air islands by ferry from Bali. These are great for diving, seeing turtles and enjoying unspoiled beaches (there are no cars in the islands).

1. Potato Head Beach Club Bali (attraction)
  2. Uluwatu (attraction)
  3. Echo Beach (restaurant)
  4. Green School (attraction)
  5. Gili Air (attraction)

Tracy from Singapore

If you like outdoor activity, you may consider go for sunrise trekking at  Gunung Agung. The trekking usually starts around 2 am in the morning and reach the top when the sun is about to rise. 

If you can eat spicy food, you should try the local Balinese food at  Bebek Bengil and seafood at Jimbaran

Hope it helps. :)

1. Bebek Bengil (restaurant)
  2. Gunung Agung (attraction)
  3. Jimbaran (attraction)

Tony from Seattle

We're heading there in a few days and (yay for spontaneous living) are just starting to research Bali!

Here's some ideas we've collected:

• Drift snorkeling on the eastern side of Nusa Pendida...  You basically are pulled by the current and picked up on the other side.  Read: http://luxagraf.net/2011/jun/23/best-snorkeling-world/
  •  Pura Ulun Danu Batur looks too damn photogenic not to see.
  • Bali Pulina Agro Tourism lets you check out Kopi Luwak coffee, which (I kid you not) is harvested from Civet Cat poop.  It's some of the most expensive coffee in the world.
  • The USS Liberty is a wreck that you can snorkel-- pretty rare to have a wreck in shallow waters like that.  It's near Amed (eastern Bali).

1. Pura Ulun Danu Batur (attraction)

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

What happens when an Italian designer infiltrates Bali? You guessed it, a 70's inspired seducing, come hither tropical hideaway--that's KISS Villas Bali in a nutshell. Interesting concept "villa" that is all about fashion, glamour & sensual color.

Also, try the Ubud Hanging Gardens. Att the Ayung Spa  they don't have mere rooms, they have villas and suites! Personally, I'm inclined to start at the spa instead and have the coconut & rice scrub. My plan after that is to end up in this pool. And then okay, I guess I'll go to the villa.

1. KISS Villas Bali (hotel)
  2. Ubud Hanging Gardens (hotel)

Soleil

Definitely check out the Sacred Monkey Forest Ubud Sanctuary! I had a great time here but my husband was totally horrified when a monkey attacked him.

1. Sacred Monkey Forest Ubud Sanctuary (attraction)