Cindy

Bali

Do you recommend visiting Bali?

Since Bali became more and more a tourist destination, will you still suggest to travel there? Which city/country will you recommend for a radical change of scene?

Christopher from Melbourne

Over the last 5 years I've noticed a lot of people warning others away from Bali as a destination as it has gotten a lot more crowded with tourists. One thing you have to remember is that Bali is not Kuta. It is not Ubud and it isn't Nusa Dua. It is an island with over a dozen tourist-friendly towns ranging from the party hotspot of Kutato the sleepy town of Lovina Beach.

Ubud has the best of both worlds. You can stay in the centre and experience tourist central or you could hang on the edges and live amongst nature, being surrounded by rice fields and rainforest.

Is the island overrun by tourists? Heck no. Some parts are swamped with foreigners but others are desolate. 

When it comes to a tropical holiday location, the island has it all, from eco glass-bottomed hotel rooms to backpacker friendly dorms surrounded by bars and nightclubs. Just gotta pick your location and absorb all that the place has to offer.

1. Kuta (neighborhood)
  2. Lovina Beach (hotel)
  3. Ubud (city)

Alejandro from Singapore

If you want pristine sandy beaches and umbrellas in your cocktails I would say no - go to the Maldives instead. However if you are interested in culture, atmosphere and a unique experience at any budget then there is no place like Bali. It has so much to offer that you really have to pick your place and scene (see other responses).

1. Maldives (country)

Matthieu from Avignon, France

Bali is an amazing island. Only the very south is touristic (Jimbaran, Kuta, Seminyak), the rest is still very wild, lush and wonderful. I highly recommend staying in Ubud, very central, beautiful jungle all around and super relaxing.

1. Ubud (city)

Uriel from Saint-Jean-de-Luz

Hi Cindy, I have been travelling and working in Bali, some areas like Kuta and Seminyakshould be avoided as this has been over exploited by tourism. However, if you try travelling in the north, you can still feel the culture of Bali and I think this is a must-do, as Balinese culture is unique in the world. Lombok has a similar landscape as Bali, this is more quiet, you will find some Buddhist people too, but this is mostly a muslim culture, as welcoming as Balinese. If you need more tips about Lombok do let me know as I have spent a month over there. 

1. Kuta (neighborhood)
  2. Seminyak (city)
  3. Lombok (city)

caroline from Mexico City

After having visited almost all the places from Asia Pacific, I promise that Bali is one of the best plance of the world to visit. It has a special atmopshere, you will know what is paradise once you will be there. The spirit from Bali is unique and countryside is beautiful!

Xavier

if you want the beauty of Bali without tourists ... go to Lombok !

1. Bali (island)
  2. Lombok (city)

Tracy from Singapore

Yeap, I will still recommend visiting Bali. There are many other places besides Kuta that are worth to go. And if you are into outdoor activity like hiking or watersports, Bali is still a good option. Traditional life in Bali? You can still find it around Ubud area.

Else, you can take about 1.5hrs domestic flight to neighbourhood island, Flores Island or even Sumbawa to avoid the crowds. Lombok will be the closest alternative. :)

1. Ubud (city)
  2. Flores Island (city)
  3. Sumbawa (city)
  4. Lombok (city)