Morringhan
Sao Paulo

Bali, Lombok, Flores Island

Best way to get to Flores/places to see?

I am going to Indonesia in a few weeks and am trying to decide if it is worth to go to Flores or not.

Any tips on best ways to getting there, east vs west part of the Island in terms of price and things to do. Is it possible to do both sides? Whats the best option if yes?

I plan on staying in Flores for a week, on a fairly tight student budget.

M.

Tracy from Singapore

Hi M,

Flores is one of the places that I would love to come back again if I get the chance! I did my overland and overseas trip in July which last about 10 days. All flights have to go via Denpasar, Bali and I flew from Denpasar to Ende as the starting point of my overland trip and ended at Labuan Bajo then I continued to Komodo Island after that for my overseas trip.

There are few places that are recommended to visit during the OVERLAND trip where you can check it out and choose to fit your schedule.

1. Kelimutu 

It is volcano with three craters which each has different color (depends on which month you go). Remember to catch the sunrise when you are there, you won't regret it. :) There are many homestay available around the National Park. Below is the photo taken during my trip there. :)

2. Lingko Spider Web Rice Fields in Ruteng

3. Wae Rebo village

4. Benawah Village

-------------------

OVERSEAS - Komodo National Park

Overseas trip will start from taking boat from Labuan Bajo and I spent one night on the boat on my last trip at Komodo National Park area. That's absolutely the great time to view stars over your head - stargazing. I saw fallen stars few times. :)

There are many islands within this National Park and usually we will go to Rinca Island and Komodo Island to see the largest lizard in the world, Komodo dragon. Then, you can also do snorkling if you don't dive - Pink Beach, Kelor Island, Kanawa Island are few recommended spots for snorkeling. If you want, you may also go to Padar Island

There are actually many other more places to go in Flores including Riung which not so popular yet.

I engage the local people to arrange for my trip as I think that's the better way to save all the hassles especially when our time is limited. So all the transportation, accommodation and all the permits, etc were pre-arranged.

For the rundown of my Flores trip itinerary, you may check out the detail here. Hope it will give you more information on how to plan your trip to Flores.

Enjoy Flores! :)

Regards,
TC

1. Kelimutu (attraction)
  2. Ruteng (attraction)
  3. Wae Rebo (attraction)
  4. Komodo National Park (attraction)
  5. Padar Island (attraction)
  6. Riung (attraction)
  7. Benawah Village (attraction)