Marlyn

Marlyn from Los Angeles asked

Any suggestions for a Honeymoon in Bali?

Putting together some recos for my friends going on their Honeymoon.  Any suggestions?  Also, any tips for buying some type of activity package for them?  Thanks!

Bali

Sérgio from Lisbon

If you want a nice beach side place go to Gili Islands west of Bali. In Bali, cool places are in the interior, like Ubud, this is my experience there. Explore via google or via responsibletravel.com site.

1. Gili Islands (region)
  2. Bali (island)
  3. Ubud (city)
Lauren from Chicago

Marlyn,

Even if they don't necessarily enjoy cooking, I cannot recommend the Paon Bali Cooking class highly enough! My husband and I were in Bali for 10 days on our honeymoon and this was a highlight of the trip. You can read more details about it on my blog post here. You tour the Ubud Market, visit the rice paddies, then go to the home of your guide to cook and eat the most delicious meal!

Ubud is known as the artsy center of Bali - you'll find temples, shopping, and more of a laid back vibe than the party areas of KutaLegian, and Seminyak. We took a bike tour with Halo Bali Bike Tours and it was great to ride around the countryside and then have traditional Balinese cuisine at the home of our guide.

Not sure what their budget is for hotels, but we stayed at the AYANA Resort and Spa in Jimbaran for several days and it was worth every penny. Gorgeous, breathtaking setting and everything you need is there-you never have to leave the grounds. Even if they don't stay there they should try and catch a sunset at their Rock Bar. It's probably the most famous place in Bali to watch a sunset which means it gets very busy and a line forms quickly, they just need to arrive early-the wait is worth it! For more details on all of these spots you can find a few more of my blog posts here: http://lionandmaven.com/travel/

If they're looking to just get away from it all then as Alicia said, Nusa Lembonganand the Gili Trawangan are the places to go - they are much less developed and touristy than Bali. 

If you have any more questions on specific places, let me know!

1. Ubud Market (attraction)
  2. Ubud (city)
  3. Kuta (neighborhood)
  4. Legian (attraction)
  5. Seminyak (city)
  6. AYANA Resort and Spa (attraction)
  7. Jimbaran (attraction)
  8. Rock Bar (restaurant)
  9. Nusa Lembongan (island)
  10. Gili Trawangan (island)
Alicia from Vancouver

I highly recommend Nusa Lembongan and the Gili Islands.  

Nusa Lembongan is so idyllic... The water is crystal clear, the diving is supposed to be incredible. It's quite a sleepy island but still beautiful. 

The Gili Islands are amazing. Gili Trawangan is the most popular, the North side has some gorgeous resorts, the snorkeling is amazing, along with the diving. It's a small island but it has everything you need - tranquility, nightlife, ocean, beaches. Gili Meno island is the quietest Island, and Gili Air is somewhere in between. 

It's easy to move around as there are plenty of boats that go between! Have an amazing honeymoon and congrats!

1. Nusa Lembongan (island)
  2. Gili Islands (region)
  3. Gili Trawangan (island)
  4. Gili Meno island (attraction)