Craig
Sydney

Bagan

Is Bagan worth visiting?

See mixed reviews about this as a heritage site? Seems to be comparable to other sites such as Angkor, Borobudur, etc but given it was rebuilt (??) by the government and hasn't got UNESCO heritage listing makes it seem it might seem to be lacking authenticity. Any comments?

Carole from Paris

Hi Craig! I would highly recommend Old Bagan - we visited the ancient city during our 8th month of traveling after visiting Angkor Watand Borobudur - the feel is quite different. The temples of Bagan are spread out, you can spend the day riding your bicycle to the various temples and you can also pack your own picnic. The temples are beautiful, especially at sunrise and sunset. Bagan is a quiet town, though there are a lot of tourist, you can enjoy many temples visits on your own. I have fond memories of our visit - we stayed for three days which included a morning visit to Mt Popa

Hope it helps! Don't hesitate to ask any questions

1. Old Bagan (attraction)
  2. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  3. Borobudur (attraction)
  4. Mt Popa (attraction)

Mira

Yes! Compared to Angkor Wat, I like Old Bagan more. The view is amazing and exploring the temples with bicycle is quite an experience for me. 

Before going to Bagan you can stopped by at Inle Lake and going to Taunggyi. There's an amazing temple named Kakku Stupa Forest. There are like 2.700 stupa and the view is stunning! Overall I love Myanmar!

1. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  2. Old Bagan (attraction)

Kenn from Bayside

My husband and I just returned from a seven week adventure trip to SE Asia which included two nights in Bagan.  We took the opportunity to float about the archaeological sites in a hot air balloom.   This was our third balloon ride including one in New Mexico and the other in Alice Springs.  While all three were thrilling, the view of the temples and pagodas in Bagan were unparalleled.   On the ground Bagan has a nice vibe to it and worthwhile strolling through the markets and getting acquainted with the locals who are outgoing and enjoy meeting Westerners.

Jae from Singapore

I found Old Bagan amazing. It was one of the hightlights in South East Asia for me, in fact. 

I'm guessing that the importance of the politics behind why it's not already a UNESCO listed site is something you'll have to decide for yourself.

1. Old Bagan (attraction)

Christa from Bruges

Old Bagan is a must. I also preferered staying in the Northern part. Nyaung-U is small village. Close to the most beautiful temple. Very early morning visit is best. So peaceful. No vendors.

1. Old Bagan (attraction)
  2. Nyaung-U (attraction)