Christene
Kansas City (Missouri)

Backpack for a Short Woman

Hi there! I am finally ready to upgrade my backpack for my upcoming trip to Spain and Morocco. Is there a pack one of you ladies recommend? I am also on the short side, so one that would fit comfortably on my hips and not be too tall would be ideal. I am eyeing Ospreys right now, but I know REI has some of there own that are much cheaper. Price Range ideally <$200.

My existing pack served me very well through multiple vacations and countries, but it is time for her to retire. 

Ross from Fort Collins

If you get a pack based on other people's recomendations, size and body shape you will end up with a bad pack!! You have to go somewhere and try on multiple packs with weight in them. The best pack in the world is worth nothing if its uncomfortable on you!

Dita from Bandung

I'm 5 feet tall, and really comfortable with Deuters ACL lite too. Mine is 28liter.

Lindsey from Brunswick, Georgia

you really need to try them all on. never buy one from the web without trying it!

Serena from San Francisco

I walked the Camino de Santiago last year so having a good fitting pack was super important, and since I'm on the petite side it took me quite awhile to find one! After trying out more than 50 packs (seriously!), I ultimately I went with a Deuter Womens ACT lite, and it was perfect! The adjustable torso was incredibly helpful for someone on the shorter size, and it really was fit for a woman. I highly recommend checking out Deuters! The women's Ospreys just didn't work for me at all (even on the shortest and tightest setting, they were still too big for me), but it really just depends on your body type. 

If I were you then I would go in to a good outdoor store where you can try the packs on before buying them.

If they have good people working in the shop then they will also know how to find a pack that is suitable for a short person. 

If you have an REI store near you then this could be a good starting point.

Elliott from San Francisco

I am a huge believer in ray Jardines' work http://www.rayjardine.com. Scroll down the page to backpacks and put in your measurements.