Lisa

BEST TWO NIGHT/3-DAY ITINERARY FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO LA/LONG BEACH

I would appreciate any help you can provide in planning a trip from San Francisco to Long Beach/LA in October.  My BFF and I are going on a road trip!  We'd like to take in as many beautiful sights as possible and not be terribly rushed.  

1.  Where would be the best towns to spend overnight? 

2.  Any hotel ideas for around $250 a night? 

3.  Any must-see places, not to be missed? 

4.  We're foodies so I'd love to hear the best restaurant ideas along the way--even if it's a progressive, eat-your-way-down-the-PCH meal, i.e. stop for appetizer here, salad here, best entree here, and dessert is phenomenal here!  

Any ideas will be super appreciated!  

Oh, we'll need to be at our destination by around 1:00 p.m. on the 3rd day as we're getting on a cruise ship, so the itinerary should include an overnight stay within driving distance from LA/Long Beach area so that we don't miss the boat!!  

THANK YOU!!!! 

Cathie from Murrieta

The more timely route is down the 1/coast, but this is an incredible drive.  The views are great.  My girlfriends and I stopped in Monterey and did some sea glass hunting.  There are a few farm stops so we picked up some fruit for the road.  We stopped in big sur which is a must see!.  there is a park there you drive down, park then walk to the beach.  Again amazing but not for swimming, the waves and current are strong.  Just a short walk down the beach, the wind is so strong in this particular that its a sand storm.  Step out and its just fine, very strange.  Great little shops along the with unique artsy stuff.  Big Sur is a very artsy community and lots of unique things here.  On the way to Morro Bay you will pass Hearst Castle Rd if you choose to visit.  Morro Bay was a great stop for us for dinner and they have cute hotels as well.  We needed to get home so did not say overnight.  Another stop for an overnighter would be Santa Barbara.  In and around this area you can go glamping, one of our "girls" things to do.  Loved all these places and sure beats the I5 drive down, which is nothing.  Have fun!

1. Monterey (city)
  2. Big Sur (city)
  3. Morro Bay (attraction)
  4. Hearst Castle Rd (attraction)
  5. Santa Barbara (city)