Daniel
Boston

Daniel from Boston asked

What to do in the Azores (Sao Miguel)

Hello, I'm headed to the Azores for the first time very soon. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions of what to do and what to eat there. Also, I am planning on renting a car so I'd be interested to hear if you have suggestions for a rental car company in Ponta Delgada. 

But I'm more interested in food recommendations. Thanks!

Azores   Ponta Delgada

Elia from Ponta Delgada

Hello Daniel!

Azores are a beautiful paradise! One of the activities that I suggest you to do is the Whale Watching, an activity that if you are lucky yo can see whales and dolphins.

Also, you can do tours through the island to see the nature, Sao Miguel is called "The green island" because of the green landscapes. If you want to do a tour me and a friend of me are now starting a new activity. We do free tours based on tips in Ponta delgada's city and through the island, this is our website http://saomiguelfreetour.com/

I will recommend you in Ponta Delgada, the best places to eat typical foods: Tasca, Prazeres da terra and 3/4cafe. And also you can visit the Associação Agrícola da Ilha Terceira in Santana where you can eat a really good meet.

If you need something else just tell me.

Best whishes 

Daniel
Thank you, Elia! I visited Sao Miguel last November and I loved it. I will definitely be returning at some time in the future and I will contact you for a tour!

Izabel from Lisbon

In Furnas, the pots containing meat and vegetables for a typical boiled/steamed dish are put into a bag and buried in the geothermal soil, the food cooks for approximately five hours. Before tasting the singular taste of a dish made in the natural heat of the earth, but the really cool part is waiting to see the lifting of the pot, with strong men pulling the ropes that had been attached to the heavy pots.

On Sao Miguel Island there is a tradition for cultivating exotic fruits, Ananás, Passion Fruit and the Annona.

There are also various types of sea food, and delicacies like the barnacle, a crustacean boiled in sea water (VerYY Good). The meat comes from the cattle bred in pastures, and it is soft and tasty. As for appetizers, there are the famous local red, mashed peppers served with fresh cheese.

For Car Rentals I really can´t give you any info.

I Hope this helped a little bit, if you need to plan any other aspect of your trip, don´t hesitate to send me a e-mail.

izabel@tiptravelinportugal.com

Daniel
Obrigado Izabel! Great recommendations

1. Furnas (city)
  2. Sao Miguel (city)

Congratulations for visiting one of the most unique and untouristy destination sin the world Daniel.

I am lucky enough to go there a few time s ayear and I really love the place.

For good places to eat I would recommend Casa Marisca and Restaurante Mercado Do Peixe for good seafood.

If you head to the north coast then try the restaurant called 4 Platanos It's not really in a town but located along the road and very good.

Alabote - Restaurante Bar in Ribeira Grande is also a nice local choice.

And when you are on Sao Miguel then there is no way around trying the local cozido which is cooked in natural ovens heated up by the vulcanoes on the island.

Best place to go for that is Terra Nostra Garden Hotel in Furnas.

Daniel
Perfect! thanks for the recommendations, Claus

Jeff
Hi Claus, how many days would you recommend in Azores? Any guidebooks worth recommending? When is your favorite time to go in the year?Best,Jeff