Sophie

Australia, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra

What is the best city to live between Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra?

Steven from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I guess it depends what you're interested in! Of course, Sydney has the gorgeous harbour. It is a very beautiful city. And the weather is usually a bit warmer, if you like that (although it rains a bit more in Sydney, and Melbourne usually has some very hot weather in the summer).

Melbourne is better known for good food, music, and culture. 

And I have never heard of anyone choosing to live in Canberra unless it was for work reasons!

Source: I have lived in Melbourne most of my life. I love Sydney and usually visit a couple of times year. I have family in Canberra and usually visit once a year.

1. Sydney (attraction)
  2. (attraction)
  3. Canberra (city)

Christopher from Melbourne

Well, it really depends on what you want from a city. I've lived in both Sydney and Melbourne and personally prefer Melbourne for its food, culture, cheaper cost of living and shopping. 

Visually, Sydney is clean and has nice parks, beaches and other open spaces to frolic. Melbourne on the other hand can be dark, gritty but full of character. Although I don't like to put labels, Sydney is the sensible child of Australia who left home to become a doctor and participates in community activities. Melbourne on the other hand is the belligerent hipster child of the country who can be confronting at first but under the shell, it really is quite lovable, warm and caring.

After I finish my world trip, I'll probably return to Melbourne to live the rest of my days as Sydney just is too clean and, well, boring.

Having a look at your bio, I'd say you'd probably settle on Melbourne however if your schedule is flexible, live in Sydney for a few weeks and see how you go. Both cities have a lot to offer and cater to different types of personalities.

1. Sydney (attraction)
  2. (attraction)

Emily from United Kingdom

For me, it would be Sydney! It has *much* nicer weather than Melbourne which can be very unpredictable and cold for a large part of the year - by Aussie standards anyway. Sydney has a beautiful harbour, great beaches and a buzzing city vibe. Melbourne has a great cafe culture with awesome shopping and galleries etc and is very much a 'cool' cosmopolitan city. It wins a lot of prizes. So, really, it comes down to personal preference! If I'm honest I'm incredibly uncultured in the ways of art and coffee shops and that sort of lifestyle - sitting in some poncy bar with my best dress and heels on is not for me - I'd sooner grab a surfboard and go hit the waves! Oh, and Canberra? I'm just gonna all out veto that one for you! Trust me.....nobody likes Canberra! :)

1. Sydney (attraction)
  2. (attraction)
  3. Canberra (city)

David from Sydney

Hi Sophie,

The Melbourne vs Sydney debate comes up often here.

Canberra is not everyone's favourite - it is hot in summer and cold in winter. There are no beaches, and there is no "cafe culture" like in Melbourne. But it has its own charms, there are some great restaurants, and it is more like a country town than the sprawl of Sydney and Melbourne.

When people think of Melbourne, they are thinking of the city centre, especially around Bourke Street. That part of Melbourne is great, and you'll struggle to find the same thing in Sydney. The suburbs are they same as any other suburbs in Australia.

I'm from Sydney, and lived here most of my life, so obviously I like Sydney - it has the beaches, the sunshine, and I know where the great cafes and restaurants are. It can be expensive to live in Sydney, but there are ways to cut down on expenses if you're willing to live outside of the city and economise a little.

And finally I'd add that no city is soulless - it just might not have the soul you're seeking in a city.

1. Canberra (city)
  2. (attraction)
  3. Sydney (attraction)