Ernst
Long Island (New York)

Australia, Western Australia, Northern Territory

Using a US-issued credit card in Australia after 1 August 2014

PIN will become main form of card payment authorisation from 1 August 2014.  I am traveling to Australia (WA and NT) in September and just learned that only PIN numbers (not signatures) will be accepted as authorization for credit card purchases as of August 1st this year. This is uncommon in the US and my credit card company is not set up to offer me this. This has me a bit worried as I planned to pay for the majority of my purchases with a credit card: 4x4 rental including camping equipment, fuel for 28 days, hotels, campgrounds, activities, food, etc.

I did find a couple of websites talking about this, where it seems this won't affect tourists, but one site says it might be a problem in some cases:

www.pinwise.com.au:

"I am visiting Australia as a tourist or on business and I don't have a PIN enabled card - will I be able to use it in shops?
You don't need to worry. Your cards will still be accepted in Australian shops and by other businesses including hotels and restaurants. You will simply be asked to sign, just as before."

www.lifehacker.com.au:

"What about visiting tourists with signature-only cards cards? In theory, tourists will still be able to authorise a payment using a signature if they have a credit card issued by an overseas provider. In reality, experience suggests a PIN is likely to be required in some circumstances, depending on the payment terminal and bank. (Similar rules have been in place in European countries for some time and signature -only Australian cards often can’t be used there). "

Does anyone have a better handle on this? Will I be ok with a US issued credit card paying at gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. without a PIN?
If not, does anyone know of a US credit card company offering a card with a PIN?

Danielle from Perth

The PIN access only is for Australian issued cards.

I wouldn't worry too much, the EFT machines will recognise that your card is international and will make you sign for it!