Bernardo
Madrid

Bernardo from Madrid asked

Towns to see from Sydney to Brisbane? Any great surf spots?

Hi there,

I am taking an 18 days road-trip from Sydney to Brisbane.

I was wondering which towns would you suggest me to stop at and see (and for how long)?

I am mainly looking to enjoy the aussie surf, so suggestions on surf spots are also very welcome.

Also, any ideas on fun hostels in Sydney, Byron bay and Brisbane (these are my sure stops along the way)?

Many thanks in advance and safe travels!

Australia

Peter from Brisbane

There are so many great spots all along the coast. Jared's answer covers lots of top spots.  You could also try places like Lennox Head and Angourie as well.

1. Lennox Head (city)
  2. Angourie (city)
Jared from Sydney

So many places you could stop in 18 days! (I assume you'll spend a few days in Sydney and Brisbane!)

Newcastle (Australia) has Merewether Beach, and Nobbys Beach - a great place to go for surfing and when the wind is up, parasailing too. 

Port Stephens is nearby and has One Mile Beach and Fingal Bay - both stunning beaches and less crowded than Newcastle.

Forster on the way to Port Macquarie is a nice detour worth taking and has some great coastal scenery. Same with Nambucca Heads on the way to Coffs Harbour - check out Diggers Beach.

Byron Bay is fantastic and definitely a must on a coastal road trip (Tallow Beach is cool) - nearby Ballina is a little quieter but also fantastic.

Finally Tweed Heads and the whole Gold Coast area is worth a few days. Beaches and theme parks, though it is very touristy. You'll find much better surf beaches and small towns south of the Queensland border. 

Also, don't think you have to stick to the coast. There are amazing places inland as well that are (sort of) on the way up to Brissie. Barrington Tops National Park and the Hunter Valley are great places to take a break from the coast and can be reached in a few hours.

Check out this link to some of the best NSW surf beaches

1. Sydney (city)
  2. Brisbane (city)
  3. Newcastle (Australia) (city)
  4. Port Stephens (attraction)
  5. Forster (city)
  6. Port Macquarie (city)
  7. Nambucca Heads (city)
  8. Coffs Harbour (city)
  9. Byron Bay (city)
  10. Ballina (city)
  11. Tweed Heads (city)
  12. Gold Coast (city)
  13. Barrington Tops National Park (attraction)
  14. Hunter Valley (attraction)