Dee

Australia, Melbourne, Sydney

Solo travel in Melbourne or Sydney?

I'm a woman planning a 9 day trip to Australia in September 2015 and will be traveling solo. Should I visit Melbourne or Sydney and why would you recommend one over the other? I can only visit one of these cities as I will also be staying 3 days in Cairns and 3 days in Brisbane. 

Also please recommend a hotel for each of these cities.

Thanks

Kiarna from Townsville, Queensland

Hi Dee, 

Both amazing cities. Two of Australia's finest. Depends what you're looking for - Melbourne has a very strong coffee and restaurant culture, and lots of awesome shopping. Weather is unpredictable - they say it is a city with 4 seasons in one day which is true! If you've been to London I believe it is the Aussie version. 

Sydney you get the city and you get the beaches. The get the good food and you get the sun. The good shopping also! Very easy to get around and explore. I personally love Sydney more, however if you're spending time in Cairns and Brisbane, Melbourne would be quite different from that! Hope it helps :) 

1. (attraction)
  2. Sydney (city)
  3. Cairns (city)
  4. Brisbane (city)

Andi

This completely depends on your travel tastes.

Sydney is like that naturally beautiful woman who doesn't need makeup or hair styling when she wakes up. She is just beautiful. 

Melbourne has more texture and relies on accessories like bags and jewelry to give her flair. But flair she has.

For a few days in September, I would recommend Sydney. The weather will be better than Melbourne, it is closer to your other destinations and you won't need to be in the know, to have a good time.

What is you per night budget for a hotel?

1. Sydney (city)
  2. (attraction)

Chris from Melbourne

I'd recommend Sydney for a short stay it has all the big attractions that can be covered in a day Sydney Harbour, Sydney Opera House, Bondi Beachhttp://www.sydney.com/

Melbourne (where I live) is great and I prefer it over Sydney, but there aren't any big attractions to tick off quickly on a short stay. http://www.visitmelbourne.com/

Other than that Sydney will be a closer climate to Cairns/Brisbane (closer to the better weather) whereas Melbourne will most likely still be a bit chilly.

All the best on your trip hope you have a great stay!

1. Sydney (city)
  2. Sydney Harbour (attraction)
  3. Sydney Opera House (attraction)
  4. Bondi Beach (metro area)
  5. (attraction)
  6. Cairns (city)
  7. Brisbane (city)

David from Mornington Peninsula

Hi Dee,

May start by saying if you're coming all this way stay a week and see both, it is not a waste of your time.

Sydney is the iconic capital of Australia, Cambra the Government city, and Melbourne is the sport and cultural capital. Rember we are in the southern hemisphere so it will be cold in Melbourne, but Sydney will be warmer, Check out the events at Whats on Melbourne Whats on in Melbourne. There are hundreds of sites that will give you information on what to do and where to go, both cities have loads of hotels, and you can drink the water Melbourne Melbourne has been rated the most livable city. As you have gathered I am for Melbourne. but Sysdney is okay too.

1. (attraction)

Gordon from Baltimore

Absolutely. It Is a must do and one of the worlds most dynamic and thrilling cities. Get out and walk, walk, and walk. You will see what I mean.

Just to clarify. I was referring to Melbourne which I prefer to Sydney. And that is taking nothing away from Sydney!

1. (attraction)
  2. Sydney (city)

Anthony from Mulgrave, Victoria, Australia

Depending on your travel tastes both have their draw cards.

Sydney is the place you would choose if you are after world famous landmarks and you are interested in all of those uber touristy things.  There is no denying that the Sydney harbour is beautiful and picturesque.  Landmarks such as the Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bondi Beach make for amazing photo opportunities.  If that is up your alley I would definitely recommend the Surry Hills area.  It's got great bars, cafes and is a very cool part of town.

If you prefer something a bit more real and genuine I would choose Melbourne.  Food, shopping, nightlife and the famous Melbourne coffee/cafe scene make it a great place to explore and become one of the locals.  I would recommend staying inner city, perhaps somewhere in South Yarra so you are in the thick of shops, restaurants and very close to the city via public transport etc.  A cool hotel I would recommend is The Cullen or The Olsen.  Staying there would put you close to Chapel St, Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.

Hope this helps and if you want specific cafe/restaurant/bar ideas just let me know :)

1. Sydney Opera House (attraction)
  2. Sydney Harbour (attraction)
  3. Bondi Beach (metro area)
  4. Surry Hills (attraction)
  5. South Yarra (city)
  6. The Cullen (hotel)
  7. The Olsen (attraction)
  8. Chapel St (attraction)
  9. Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne (attraction)

Alex

Hi Dee, I would love to hear how your trip was? I am planning to go to Australia this September and I am heading to Sydney and Melbourne but I am looking for a place to travel for a few days in between. Thanks!