Laura
Buenos Aires

Australia

One week in Australia for new year

I'm thinking of going to Australia for one week or 10 days for new year. 

Melbourne, Sydney on the 31/1, the Gold Coast and the Great Barrier Reef. I'd love to get advices of what to see, where to stay, how to get around. It's a big country and I'm a bit overwhelmed 

Liam from Boise, Idaho

I'm not too familiar with Melbourne, but as you may know, the Great Ocean Rd , just outside of Melbourne, is a must. 

As far as Sydney, you should check out the beaches. I always suggest theBondi to Coogee walk.. It's about 30 minutes away from CBD. It's about a 2-hour walk that allows you to see various beaches, amazing ocean views, and there are plenty of spots for relaxing and picnics. 

If you have time I would also suggest visiting the Blue Mountains (hour and a half outside Sydney), they are pretty spectacular. Tour would be your best bet. 

Also Manly Beach

As far as getting around, from city to city, it's cheap to fly. Almost cheaper than taking a bus... So unless you are super inclined to drive or hire a car, I would suggest flying. It's like $40-50 AUD to fly from Melbs to Sydney.

Inner City for Syndey, you'll want to buy an Opal card. You put a certain $$ amount on the card, and you use that for all public transportation... Melbourne has myKi. 

1. Great Ocean Rd (attraction)
  2. Bondi (attraction)
  3. Coogee (attraction)
  4. Manly Beach (attraction)

Vibeke from Quito

Hi Laura. When you go to Gold Coast I recommend the beaches: Currumbin and Burleigh Heads. Around Melbourne you can do a day trip to Great Ocean RdBrightonChurchill Island. I would spend more time in Melbourne than Sydney. To get to Great Barrier Reef you can take a boat trip from Cairns City. The best beach in Australia is Whitsundays and is near the Great Barrier reef. 

1. Gold Coast (city)
  2. Currumbin (attraction)
  3. Burleigh Heads (attraction)
  4. Great Ocean Rd (attraction)
  5. Brighton (attraction)
  6. Churchill Island (attraction)
  7. Melbourne (attraction)
  8. Sydney (city)
  9. Great Barrier Reef (attraction)
  10. Cairns City (attraction)