Emily
Shaker Heights, Ohio

Australia

2 weeks in Australia

What are the best places to visit/things to do in a two week trip to Australia? Realize we can't see everything in this time so I want to know the best places to hit and activities to do.

Also like to plan trips around food, so any food recommendations would be great as well!

Liam from Boise, Idaho

I would definitely hit up the east coast. You could either start at the top towards Cairns, or at the bottom and even see Tasmania. 

Perth can be fun, but it's pretty far out of the way and there's so much to see. 

Cairns

Fraser Island

Brisbane

Gold Coast

Sydney

Melbourne

Flights are also fairly cheap between these places. Example Sydney to Melbourne can be as cheap as $40 AUD. 

You'll also find the best food in Sydney and Melbs. 

1. Cairns (city)
  2. Fraser Island (attraction)
  3. Brisbane (city)
  4. Gold Coast (city)
  5. Sydney (city)
  6. (attraction)

Joel from Byron Bay

I would say head to Byron Bay it's the best place in Australia and has great food you can head to Fraser Islandwhich is not to far north and even the Whitsunday Island if you want to squeeze it in! In Byron check out for food: folk, bayleaf, the roadhouse, miss margaritas, there are so many!!!

1. Byron Bay (city)
  2. Fraser Island (attraction)
  3. Whitsunday Island (attraction)

I can give you a few fun ideas based on foods I ate in Australia:

-Darwin: Ate some camel schnitzel at the Wharf Precinct. And the the Parap Markets is also worth checking out. Had an amazing papaya salad there.

-Yungaburra: Two things worth checking out there ... the Mungalli Creek Dairy has cheesecake that will ruin you for all other cheesecakes, and the Wild Mountain Cellars has some great beverages.

-Cape Tribulation Exotic Fruit Farm is one of the coolest places I've ever seen. Managed to sample some exotic fruits I've never heard of, and track down one I'd been searching for (the black sapote, aka chocolate pudding fruit).

There's also plenty of great Asian food in Australia, and even the tiny towns have classy espresso bars.

As for real outdoor adventures, it depends on the time of year. If you're there in the wet season, salt-water crocs are a concern. I went in August/September, which is the dry season. Much less worries about crocs.

1. Parap Markets (attraction)
  2. Mungalli Creek Dairy (restaurant)
  3. Wild Mountain Cellars (attraction)
  4. Cape Tribulation Exotic Fruit Farm (restaurant)