Salma
Miami

Australia, New Zealand

1 Month vacation: Australia or Australia/NewZealand ???

I am planning a one-month vacation on January 2015 and was wondering if it is better to explore only Australia or do Australia and NZ (In this case we would only do the aussie east cost). Is it too much to do both countries in only one month or is it worth is? I live in Miami, it is a very long trip from here so I dont think I would be going back soon. Thanksss :)

Shannon from Helmsley

The two countries are quite different, so I'd do both if possible. The east coast of Oz has some great beaches and makes a fun road trip, but it is very touristy (esp. Brisbane/Gold Coast) although areas like Dorrigo National Park a little further inland are nice. NZ has lots of lakes and mountains and great bungee-jumping/skydiving potential. You could maybe do Cairns down to Melbourne in 2 weeks and then fly onto NZ for the other half...

1. Brisbane (city)
  2. Gold Coast (city)
  3. Dorrigo National Park (attraction)
  4. Cairns (city)
  5. Melbourne (city)

Emily from United Kingdom

Australia is so huge that even in a month you won't see everything. Arguably the same could be said of NZ even though it is a fraction of the size. So I would base your decision more on what sort of things you want to see. Australia is great for awesome cities, beaches, diving, crazy outback desert and even tropical rainforest. NZ is great for lush rain forests, beautiful mountain landscapes, the most stunning blue lakes, dramatic coastlines, snow-capped peaks and quaint little towns. 

If I wanted to get the best of both worlds in just one month I would base myself first in Cairns - visit the stunning beaches, rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef then fly down to Sydney or Melbourne for a slice of city life before finishing off flying to Queenstown and exploring the incredible scenery on the NZ South Island. 

Although that said...I wouldn't visit Cairns in January it will be very very hot and humid! You could try a bit further south on the Sunshine Coast which is still accessible to the reef (at a push) and a lot prettier than Brisbane/Gold Coast.

1. Cairns (city)
  2. Great Barrier Reef (attraction)
  3. Sydney (city)
  4. (attraction)
  5. Queenstown (city)
  6. Sunshine Coast (city)

Lorraine

In a month you can't do either country in depth, but if it's a long time till you're in this part of the world again, you can certainly get a "flavour" of both.

On east coast Australia, northern Queensland visiting the Great Barrier Reef is a must see-will be very hot and humid. Fraser Island really worthwhile to see, off Queensland coast-can take day trips there from a number of jump off points on mainland if time is a limitation. Great beaches in Queensland- not in north because of the stingers and the reef prevents waves. Sunshine Coast quieter than Gold Coast. Gold Coast more built up and touristy.

If in Sydney, get on a ferry and go to Bondi Beach-you might be lucky enough to see the little penguins on one of the beaches! In Victoria (Australia), a trip on the Great Ocean Road is worthwhile.

1. Queensland (region)
  2. Great Barrier Reef (region)
  3. Fraser Island (city)
  4. Gold Coast (city)
  5. Sydney (city)
  6. Bondi Beach (metro area)
  7. Victoria (Australia) (city)
  8. Great Ocean Road (attraction)

Roger from San Marcos (Texas)

Why not both?