Fern asked

Centrally located hotel under $300 walking distance to main areas

I need a room under $300 that is centrally located, well priced with many amenities. Traveling with 13yr old granddaughter. Spring or summer trip? Which would be better? would a 4 or 5 day trip. Also what are the must see and do things with a 13 yr old?

Austin (Texas)

Alicia from Austin

I would recommend the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown (211 E 3rd St) I actually recently stayed there when my place got flooded down the street. It's a great location downtown, big rooms, and a great breakfast. You can pretty much walk anywhere. I'd also recommend Radisson Hotel Austin - Town Lake. It has a new great restaurant inside of it and a great place to watch the bats from at sunset. Even if you don't stay there, I'd recommend the restaurant, Chavez, for happy hour and appetizers just before sunset. I can't speak for the Radisson hotel rooms or service itself just that it's a good location.

Fern
Thanks for your thoughts. I will check them out. I've stayed at both in other cities and was pleased.

Michael from San Francisco

Embassy Suites on S. Congress is near downtown.  You can walk it if you're enthusiastic, or they have a free shuttle.  Embassy Suites are generally pretty good in price.  Unless there's some kind of major event in town, you should be able to get something there for around $150 a night, and will have plenty of room for you and your grand daughter.  If possible I would say go in late spring, or early Summer.  Early spring, and you're looking at getting rained on.  Middle to late summer and you're looking at days that are so hot you might not want to be out.

Fern
Thanks Michael. Very helpful

Fern
Thank you for all the info. The weather tip is helpful.

1. Embassy Suites (hotel)
Kevin from Austin (Texas)

Try the Hotel San Jose.  Cool, hip, boutique hotel located right on South Congress.  The W Austin Hotel is located right downtown and the hip large format hotel other than the Four Seasons.  We have many hotels under construction as we speak which was much needed.  Activities are running/walking around Lady Bird Lake, shopping/eating around the 2nd street district.  Uchi is the well known sushi style restaurant that gets all the press.  Worth going to but try some of the newer places like Swift's Attic or Hopdoddy Burger Bar.  

Liz
The Hotel San Jose is beautiful and in a great location!

1. Hotel San Jose (hotel)
  2. The W Austin Hotel (hotel)
  3. Four Seasons (hotel)
  4. Lady Bird Lake (attraction)
  5. Uchi (restaurant)
  6. Swift's Attic (restaurant)
  7. Hopdoddy Burger Bar (restaurant)
Andrew from Round Rock

It's a little out of the way, but try Austin Marriott South. You'll get a great room for your dollar, and they have a free shuttle that takes you to the middle of downtown (it's about a 5 minute drive). You can enjoy the best of downtown life and then retire to a more quiet area for some rest. 

Kathryn from London

I'm with Michael on using AirBnB, especially with your price point, you can get a very nice place in downtown. Also, definitely go in spring. We get strings of triple digit days in summer.

What's your granddaughter interested in? There's tons to do and it will depend on what she enjoys. 

Jeff from Frisco

I like Omni Hotels: Downtown Austin  It is a nice walking distance to several areas.  Secure parking is also a nice bonus.