Joy
Berlin

Joy from Berlin asked

Best eats/bars in Austin under $25?

Heading to Austin for SXSW in March for a few days, and looking to eat at the city's best and coolest spots especially for Tex-Mex, BBQ, brunch, and craft beer. I've been to South Congress before and really liked the hip/vintage vibe of the area. The more off-the-beaten path the better, since I'm sure a lot of restaurants and bars will be super crowded during the festival.

Austin

Nicole from San Antonio

Food trucks---one of my favorites is East Side King but South Congress is also a haven for food trucks and lots of great Austin eclectic eats.

1. East Side King (restaurant)
  2. South Congress (neighborhood)
Christopher from San Francisco

You should also give Salt Lick BBQ a try. It’s a bit of a schlep and there’s always a wait, but if you get a group of 8+ people, you will absolutely have a great time!

Joy
Another friend suggested Salt Lick! I'm journeying solo though, so maybe i'll just try the airport location. Thanks!

Christopher
Fair enough. Though if you *can* find friends to go there, I highly recommend it. Often you can get a shuttle to drive you for a relatively low price, too. Make some friends and have everyone pitch in! :) Failing that, the airport location still has some awesomely smoked meats, so I think you'll do just fine there, too.

1. Salt Lick BBQ (restaurant)
Christopher from San Francisco

For the best TexMex in this Texpat’s opinion, you have got to eat at Chuy's Restaurant. It’s a chain, yes, but it’s a chain because it’s so unbelievably awesome. Get the Green Chile Chicken Tacquitos; the Creamy Jalapeño dip is to die for!

Carina
I have been to Chuy's and can vouch that they serve the best of the down-home, greasy, in-all-ways-unhealthy-and-delicious TexMex food that exists in the lone star state.

1. Chuy's Restaurant (restaurant)
Kimson from San Francisco

Jerry from Waxahachie

Try Green Mesquite BBQ on Barton Springs Road at 1400 Barton Springs Road

1. Green Mesquite BBQ (restaurant)
James

Try Juan In A Million on the east side. Great food and Juan is a super-nice guy. It's primarily a "locals-only" place.

1. Juan In A Million (restaurant)
Gina from Garrison

Highly recommend Magnolia Cafe for brunch. You cannot go wrong with Hula Hut either!

1. Magnolia Cafe (restaurant)
  2. Hula Hut (restaurant)
Katerina from Los Angeles

Juan In A Million is a great place for breakfast on the east side. It can get crowded though, but worth the wait. Also, Tacodeli is the best place for breakfast tacos. You can't come to Austin and not have breakfast tacos and queso. Chuy's Restaurant and Guero's are good places for tex mex. You should go to Rainey Street for craft beer. Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden would be the place to go. They also have brunch on Sundays (get the manmosa). Franklins BBQ is supposedly the best place for BBQ. There's always a 4+ hour wait though so I've never been. I get my Texas BBQ at Rudy's Country Store And Bar-B-Q or The County Line. Austin is a great city! Have fun!

1. Juan In A Million (restaurant)
  2. Tacodeli (restaurant)
  3. Chuy's Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Guero's (restaurant)
  5. Rainey Street (attraction)
  6. Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden (attraction)
  7. Franklins BBQ (attraction)
  8. Rudy's Country Store And Bar-B-Q (attraction)
  9. The County Line (restaurant)