Joe
Sacramento

Austin

Where to find affordable accommodation in Austin?

My wife and I are considering going to Austin next year for a Paleo convention (Palmer Event Center) but are finding the hotel prices are quite a lot. Rentals don't seem to bad but does anyone have any other options for helping with the cost? 

Thanks 

Don from Austin (Texas)

There is not a great answer for this question. Hotels in Austin are never really cheap. The pricing can be very dependent upon large events and/ or conventions and you didn't say when you are coming. Anything in the vicinity of the Palmer Events Center will be typically expensive. If you're renting a car you have the choice of staying in the suburbs to save money. Otherwise, book early and look hard at Home Away or AirBnb.

1. Palmer Events Center (attraction)

Pat from Dallas, Texas

The hotels in Austin are not worth your money, time or your troubles! I would suggest staying in Round Rock, Waco or even Dallas & drive to your convention!

1. Round Rock (city)
  2. Waco (city)
  3. Dallas (city)

ronnie from Austin (Texas)

Let me think on that Austin is getting crazy expensive since L.A. decided to re-locate there. The Embassy Suites on south congress used to have some good multi night deals. it included breakfast and a free drinks happy hour. if I think of something else I'll let you know. Good luck.

1. Austin (city)
  2. Embassy Suites (hotel)

Ralph

There are lots of options on HomeAway (which was founded and is still based in Austin). Hotel rooms downtown get pricey based on the time of year, events in town, etc. You can also find more reasonable places to stay northwest of town (Arboretum Boulevard area) or south of town. Good luck and have fun!

1. Arboretum Boulevard (attraction)

Liana from Pittsford (town), New York

There are a lot of great Air BnB places in Austin. Check out Airbnb.com!